Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Online Personal shopping Service

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Furthermore, most subscription services produce there own wares or offer some sort of retail environment to purchase the goods they're promoting. They make their revenue primarily through sales. How do you expect to generate revenue? Do you expect your customers to pay for you to tell them what to wear and then go the extra step and pay more to purchase the goods? Would you be able to offer any sort of discount at the retailers your directing your customers toward?
    Last edited by Geo; May 24th, 2017 at 01:43 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddglazer1 View Post
    It is a bad idea and he was kind enough to take the time to say so and explain why. Sometimes brutal honesty is the kindest thing one can do for another and it's the kind of thing you can only get from strangers sometimes. Calling someone a colossal dick for offering free advice as opposed to the kind you're selling is the pot calling the kettle a colossal dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I agree with the content of LBD's criticism and that David's reaction was over the top, the manner of delivery of the criticism seems unnecessarily sneering. The italics, scare quotes, and inferring the intent that David is trying to do as little work as possible and essentially get money for something LBD doesn't see value in all came across to me as bordering on a personal attack on David.

Blunt criticism is fine, but there are better ways to deliver the message than this.
    Last edited by burban; May 24th, 2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Scare quotes, not air quotes. Doh.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I agree for the most part, I think David got a pretty hostile reception. At the same time, given how often LBD or another mod has to chew out someone promoting a product or soliciting free info/leads, I don't completely blame them. Of course the easiest thing to do would probably have been to just move the thread over to this area anyway (be real, when was the last time you were here?) but I took a little pleasure in the snootiness.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post
    the manner of delivery of the criticism seems unnecessarily sneering.
    I agree

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    If someone rolls up to the forum looking to drum up interest for a business scheme that rides the coattails of popular subscription services, while requiring none of the actual business acumen/investment/infrastructure required to run one of those services - and apparently offering none of the actual benefit to the consumer of one of those services - then I'm not going to be shy saying it. There is a difference in the degree of bluntness I will use/number of shits I give about potentially hurting someone's feelings when they are pitching a business idea versus, say, asking for feedback on an outfit they wore. I might use the ol' compliment sandwich and positive feedback to encourage someone who's looking to improve their style and posting pictures of their outfits for feedback. I'm less likely to use them when someone brings a business idea to the table for comment and I legitimately see no useful value in the service he is proposing to sell to others.

If the dude genuinely thinks his business is legit, he should be able to succinctly and rationally defend the concept and explain the value of his service to consumers. If he can't explain the value of his services to us, who generally like clothes and shopping and aren't paying him a thing, how does he expect to convince anyone who doesn't like clothes or shopping to pay him for the supposed value of his services? ("You're not the target audience, you wouldn't get it" is not a valid defense or explanation of the value of his services.) If his response to questions being raised about the value or legitimacy of his service is to overreact and resort to childish personal attacks, then IMO that's a pretty good indication that not only has he not really thought his business concept through with any real seriousness or effort, but that he lacks the emotional resiliency/maturity required to succeed in providing online services to customers in the first place.
    Ben

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    If someone rolls up to the forum looking to drum up interest for a business scheme that rides the coattails of popular subscription services, while requiring none of the actual business acumen/investment/infrastructure required to run one of those services - and apparently offering none of the actual benefit to the consumer of one of those services - then I'm not going to be shy saying it. There is a difference in the degree of bluntness I will use/number of shits I give about potentially hurting someone's feelings when they are pitching a business idea versus, say, asking for feedback on an outfit they wore. I might use the ol' compliment sandwich and positive feedback to encourage someone who's looking to improve their style and posting pictures of their outfits for feedback. I'm less likely to use them when someone brings a business idea to the table for comment and I legitimately see no useful value in the service he is proposing to sell to others.

If the dude genuinely thinks his business is legit, he should be able to succinctly and rationally defend the concept and explain the value of his service to consumers. If he can't explain the value of his services to us, who generally like clothes and shopping and aren't paying him a thing, how does he expect to convince anyone who doesn't like clothes or shopping to pay him for the supposed value of his services? ("You're not the target audience, you wouldn't get it" is not a valid defense or explanation of the value of his services.) If his response to questions being raised about the value or legitimacy of his service is to overreact and resort to childish personal attacks, then IMO that's a pretty good indication that not only has he not really thought his business concept through with any real seriousness or effort, but that he lacks the emotional resiliency/maturity required to succeed in providing online services to customers in the first place.
    I generally agree with this. This isn't shitting down someone's neck for no reason... I think you have to take a more "Shark Tank" approach to these types of questions (or at least what I'd think they do... I've only watched once or twice on mute at the gym, and seen some funny clips online). If you don't, and just soften it and lead him to think it's a legit idea, are you really doing a guy any favors when he flounders along / wastes time on an idea that doesn't seem to have legs? He's essentially providing a thesis and asking for people to shoot holes in it... OP just didn't seem to appreciate when the holes seemed rather large, as opposed to (which I'm assuming he was wanting by posting) having us tell him how to tighten up the idea and make it a better business plan.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    The idea did seem to be: Dappered.com, but you pay for it.