Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Online Personal shopping Service

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Norman View Post
    You know Lessor Black Dog. I'm not sure if anyone has ever said this to you before but "YOU'RE A COLOSSAL DICK!" I came to this site for a little advice and some constructive criticism. If you didn't like the idea or wasn't a fan of it you could've politely said so, but instead you insult it, myself, and everyone in the industry that does offers a "specialized service". Just because it's not for "YOU" doesn't make it bad idea nor does it make the people that run it "lazy" people looking for a quick cash grab which is what you are insinuating. You know it is people like you that give internet forums a bad name!
    It is a bad idea and he was kind enough to take the time to say so and explain why. Sometimes brutal honesty is the kindest thing one can do for another and it's the kind of thing you can only get from strangers sometimes. Calling someone a colossal dick for offering free advice as opposed to the kind you're selling is the pot calling the kettle a colossal dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ddglazer1; May 24th, 2017 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    By the way, this is also something the kind folks at Dappered.com do exceedingly well for free with the added value of buying the stuff, trying it on, taking photos, and reviewing it plus all the other wonderful things Joe and company post about. (You're also trying to compete with him on his own site, which is not so cool.) Put This On also does this for eBay, which is a lot more work. Neither one of them clog my inbox with emails unless I want them to.
    Last edited by ddglazer1; May 24th, 2017 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ddglazer1 View Post
    It is a bad idea and he was kind enough to take the time to say so and explain why. Sometimes brutal honesty is the kindest thing one can do for another and it's the kind of thing you can only get from strangers sometime. Calling someone a colossal dick for offering free advice as opposed to the kind your selling is the pot calling the kettle a colossal dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This ^^^ ROFL

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    You know Lessor Black Dog. I'm not sure if anyone has ever said this to you before but "YOU'RE A COLOSSAL DICK!" I came to this site for a little advice and some constructive criticism. If you didn't like the idea or wasn't a fan of it you could've politely said so, but instead you insult it, myself, and everyone in the industry that does offers a "specialized service". Just because it's not for "YOU" doesn't make it bad idea nor does it make the people that run it "lazy" people looking for a quick cash grab which is what you are insinuating. You know it is people like you that give internet forums a bad name!
    Lol.

You asked for feedback. We gave it. You pooh-poohed our feedback by saying that your target audience is not us. The fact you jumped to deflect the honest feedback of strangers, rather than simply absorbing it, was probably the first major indicator that you don't have the stomach to objectively assess your own business plan. In response to your deflection, I reaffirmed my feedback based on the fact that your proposed product offers seemingly little or no value to your target audience.

If your post reflects the extent of your capacity to deal with constructive criticism, then the service industry is not for you, my friend.
    Ben

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    You know Lessor Black Dog. I'm not sure if anyone has ever said this to you before but "YOU'RE A COLOSSAL DICK!"
    And with an attitude like that, your business ventures will never succeed, even outside of this miserable failure of an idea. You need to be more open to criticism.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    I really don't like to be the kind of person to pile on... but really man?

It's weird that LBD is being singled out here. His feedback is simply a more detailed explanation of what we were all saying. Also, when the hell did anyone insult the entire "specialized service" industry? Pretty sure a case was made explicitly detailing how, and for who, similar services actually did work and made sense. The fact of the matter is that we gave honest opinions and you did not appreciate such honesty after explicitly asking for it. Starting out on a new venture/idea can be really challenging and I do wish you the best of luck. I just don't think this idea will be "the one" that takes off.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    All I'm going to chime in with is that there's a difference between respectful, constructive criticism, and insults/being a dick.

That you aren't able to differentiate one from the other indicates that entrepreneurship may not be the best field for you.

Best of luck in whatever endeavors you undertake.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    David - I don't think this service (or some variation of it) is as bad of an idea as some others here do. Sure, nobody that is a frequent Dappered visitor would use it, but that wouldn't be the target market of course.

I do this for free for my friends all the time. They know me as the guy that's into "style" and they ask me for ideas for a specific thing they need to buy (e.g. swimsuit, shoes, suit, etc.). They don't have their finger on the men's style pulse like a lot of us here do. They're not familiar with popular brands or good sources. They don't have the knowledge or desire to sort through the unlimited number of options out there. It's can be overwhelming for sure.

I'm always happy to curate a half dozen or so options that I think suit their personal style well. Then, as a last step they use their own judgement to decide which of the half dozen options they like best. It allows them to exercise some semblance of personal style choice without the hassle of sorting through hundreds of options.

Are there blogs/websites that already curate selections like this? Yes, duh. To differentiate, the service would have to be personalized for each person in a way that a website that caters to a large audience cannot.

Ultimately, the market would dictate if this is a valuable service or not. Either people will pay for it or they will not.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    LBD is of the my favorite folks to read on this forum. He's opinionated and direct and has his own ideas. Perhaps that's feels harsh, but I come to these forums for direct opinions.

That said, Dappered is one of the friendliest forums I have encountered and it's why I frequent here more often than some of the other menswear sites. If your idea can't make it here...

I've definitely been there with an internally brilliant idea that withers under the full light of day. Recalibrate and try again.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by josiahv View Post
    LBD is of the my favorite folks to read on this forum.
    Aw shucks
    Ben