Thread: Too Casual?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

Too Casual?

Hey guys

So I have a wedding tomorrow.. Its supposed to be super hot even though its not an outdoors wedding. My body has changed quite a bit and my suit ive had for a while is very very bad. I dont have the money to shell out on a new suit right now. Im thinking of wearing an outfit similar to the one below and wondering if you guys think it is too casual or looks bad. I figure chances are I will still look better and more put together then 90% of the guys wearing ill fitting suits. Any comments or feedback is appreciated

http://s3cdn-lookbooknu.netdna-ssl.c...jpg?1407137248

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1474 Post(s)
    Looks fine to me. I would skip the waistcoat, though, if it's going to be hot. I would also try to opt for a dressier trouser if you can, something with a crease in it at least. (It's hard to tell but those look like jeans in the photo.)
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Looks fine to me. I would skip the waistcoat, though, if it's going to be hot. I would also try to opt for a dressier trouser if you can, something with a crease in it at least. (It's hard to tell but those look like jeans in the photo.)
    The pants I have are like a black coated denim they dont really look like jeans but as far as pants I have a few different colours of chinos (khaki, light grey, navy)

I figured the vest would dress it up a little more and even if i wanted to take off the blazer I would still feel not as casual

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1474 Post(s)
    If you are going to wear a blue jacket I would probably go for the light grey chinos.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    If you are going to wear a blue jacket I would probably go for the light grey chinos.
    http://www.6pm.com/images/z/2/9/1/7/...-MULTIVIEW.jpg

or

https://cloudfront.dappered.com/wp-c...nys-footer.jpg

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)
    The loafers are a bit sleeker and would look better IMO. If your chinos are creased, you could get away with the wingtips too. If the chinos aren't creased, then the loafers no doubt in my mind. Colors for both work just fine for grey chinos and a blue jacket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperTexan View Post
    The loafers are a bit sleeker and would look better IMO. If your chinos are creased, you could get away with the wingtips too. If the chinos aren't creased, then the loafers no doubt in my mind. Colors for both work just fine for grey chinos and a blue jacket.
    The chinos are the 484 lightweight from Jcrew pretty much this colour here. I guess I will have to change the entire outfit then because that outfit was based on the dark denim pants.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/G1186?color_...s=G1186-GY7045

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Instead of the dark/black denim what do you think about wearing a darker grey (charcoal) colour of chinos to achieve the same look or would that look funny with the navy blazer. I think that outfit looks fantastic with the black denim

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xKMAN83x View Post
    The chinos are the 484 lightweight from Jcrew pretty much this colour here. I guess I will have to change the entire outfit then because that outfit was based on the dark denim pants.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/G1186?color_...s=G1186-GY7045
    You don't need to change the outfit at all. Grey chinos are neutral - i.e. they work with just about any color jacket that is not the same/near shade of grey. Blue jacket works fantastic (and actually much better with light grey than black denim- which I can't imagine ever advising wearing to a wedding).

except with brown shoes.

Dressier version with a tie and navy jacket (khaki/offwhite is also a neutral color like grey)

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1474 Post(s)
    I think the coated denim + casual jacket could potentially be a cool look, I'm just not sure a wedding would be the ideal place to try it out. A wedding is a major event in someone's life, and you want to dress to show respect to the gravity of the occasion and the people involved, not just to look cool.
    Ben