Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "Help Me Pick a Watch" Thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Another "Help Me Pick a Watch" Thread

Almost nine years ago, at the height of the financial collapse, I lost my job. Because of the collapse? Ironically no, but it certainly made finding another good job difficult. Since then it's been freelance work, crap jobs, time off for grad school and being a stay-at-home daddy. Yesterday I found out that I finally got another good job. I want to buy my first "real" watch to celebrate and to commemorate the time spent at home. I have some criteria though and I'm looking for suggestions.

1. Needs to look good on everything from natos to leather to bracelet. So... should probably come with a decent factory bracelet.
    2. 38-42mm wide. Anything under 38mm looks too dainty on my wrist in casual settings (according to my wife).
    3. Can't be too tall, as I need it to fit reasonably under most shirt sleeves. Otherwise I'd just look for a dressy-ish diver.
    4. Main thing, will look good with a variety of looks, from weekend casual to business casual. Dressiest I get is trousers and sport coat.
    5. As far under $1,500 as possible.

I'm strongly considering these, in order:
    1. Sinn 556i Anniversary (http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/556_Anniversary.htm)
    2. Oris Aquis Date (https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-aq...4-07-4-24-64eb (A diver, but "appears" to have a lower profile than some?)
    3. Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date (https://shop.hamiltonwatch.com/hamil...-date-2-2.html)

Would love any insights about these from people with experience, plus any other suggestions that might fit the need.

Thanks all!

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    755 Post(s)
    Congrats on landing a new, full time gig. I like the way you think too. I'd be doing the same thing as you

My recommendation? Go for a used automatic Omega Seamaster. I think it will fall in your specs of having a watch that looks good on a NATO and leather strap. And you can pick one up around your $1,500 USD price range. The only thing I am uncertain of is the height of the watch. I do not own the Seamaster, but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you a run down.

If you're set on the three watches you've linked to above, I like the look for the Oris. But that is purely from an aesthetics point of view to my eye. I can't comment on the reliably of Oris watches as I've never owned one.

Once again, congrats!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Quoted
    692 Post(s)
    all 3 of yours listed are nice options. Your budget will get you quite a selection. Jomashop.com usually has good prices on Hamiltons. If I were picking one of those I would get the Oris. Divers are very versatile. The Sinn would be #2. The hammy is beautiful but looks pretty dressy and not as flexible as you are looking for, IMO. Everything is relative, but I would ease in a little more. There are some really great watches at lower price points. To me, after a bout $300 the cost/benefit starts to go down for the average joe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I purchased an Oris Aquis with blue dial almost exactly a year ago and have received a lot of compliments on it.

Like you, I was looking for a watch that started to veer into luxury territory but was under $1,500. However, I knew I wanted a diver for the versatility. It looks just as good with a suit as it does with shorts and T or at the beach/lake swimming. Because of that, I pretty much wear it all the time except for doing errands/yardwork on the weekends. I actually sold my Orient Bambino and my Tissot PRC 300 has been collecting dust because of my Oris.

Oris has an excellent reputation and, based on my research, really punches above its weight as far as features for the price. The best part of the watch may be the bracelet - super comfortable and a lot of reviews compare it to Omega's. The dial is big so if you have a smaller arm/wrist that may be a factor. I like the size but it did take me some getting used to coming from my Tissot. The one knock is that the rotating bezel is not as user friendly as it could be - can be tight at times. But that's my only knock. Otherwise, I've been very happy with my purchase and certainly would buy again.

If you have more specific questions on it I'd be happy to answer. When I was asking the forum a year ago about the Oris, I didn't get a lot of feedback so assumed not many people had one. Here is the model I have.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    224 Post(s)
    Out of the 3 you listed I like the Oris the best.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    I would pick the Sinn out of the three listed. I owned a 556i and miss it. I would get the bracelet with it, they are nothing short of amazing! The height would easily fit under a cuff. Sinn makes a good watch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Honestly, I know nothing of your financial situation, however, if I were in your shoes, I am not sure I would be purchasing a new watch until I was in the new position for a little bit.

With that being said, I would also look at pre-owned Ball.

http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=ball&price_end=1500

Maybe also Longines.
    Last edited by .brian.; May 18th, 2017 at 04:35 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    I would take a look at some of the JDM Seikos at https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko

My recommendation would be a Seiko SARG013 if you can find one
    http://www.shoppinginjapan.net/sarg013

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    My recommendation? Go for a used automatic Omega Seamaster.
    Oh, that'd be sweet. I was hoping to stick with new, but I might bend for that. I'll look around.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    The hammy is beautiful but looks pretty dressy and not as flexible as you are looking for, IMO. Everything is relative, but I would ease in a little more. There are some really great watches at lower price points. To me, after a bout $300 the cost/benefit starts to go down for the average joe.
    I agree about the Jazzmaster. Probably wouldn't look right on a nato. My price point is based on a.) Two of my favorite beaters just broke because they were cheap beaters. Looking to upgrade for this one, b.) I inherited watches from my grandfather and I LOVED wearing them. I want something that will survive at least long enough to give to my son. I'll worry about grandkids later, c.) I can't justify over $1,500. =)