Thread: Lightweight chino options?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Lightweight chino options?

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for a light/medium gray summer weight chino. Flex/stretch preferred but not required.

Bonobos - love them but at $98 not worth it

JCrew summerweight chino - also around $50-60 on sale which feels too steep to me.

JCrew factory summerweight chino - no light/medium gray option - only "dark flannel." So odd to me that they didn't go with any light colors. I have a pair in khaki and they are just OK.

Old Navy Flex Slim Chino - just ordered a pair of these for $25 and will report back

Any others I should look at? Ideally would like a 15" or so leg opening, similar to the bonobos slim fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)
    I like the JCF summer weight chinos. I have the light blue and light green options from last year, and was thinking of picking up a third, but I also think it's weird that they don't have a grey option at all. For what it's worth, I wouldn't call "dark flannel" a dark gray. I have the dark flannel summer weight chino shorts, also from last year. While there is some gray in them, they are more of a grayish blue than a bluish gray (e.g. while they have some gray and some blue, blue is clearly the predominant or base color). So, all in all, I don't think they have any gray options available, which is too bad, given that they have two light browns, two blues, and a pink (!) I don't understand how they think to go to pink before grey.

By the way, I've tried both the pink chinos and the yellow shorts on in a store and they are both see-through. Certainly an interesting idea to offer colors like that, though.

Joe was praising the Gap summer weight chinos, but I'm not sure I want a nylon pant.

So far as I can tell, Banana Republic isn't even selling summer weight chinos right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zerostyle View Post
    Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for a light/medium gray summer weight chino. Flex/stretch preferred but not required.

Bonobos - love them but at $98 not worth it

JCrew summerweight chino - also around $50-60 on sale which feels too steep to me.

JCrew factory summerweight chino - no light/medium gray option - only "dark flannel." So odd to me that they didn't go with any light colors. I have a pair in khaki and they are just OK.

Old Navy Flex Slim Chino - just ordered a pair of these for $25 and will report back

Any others I should look at? Ideally would like a 15" or so leg opening, similar to the bonobos slim fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)
    Lands End Lighthouse

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Just a heads up on the Bonobos summer weight chinos.

This years version is stretch. They are nowhere as nice as last years all cotton. They have a strange feel to them and make that raincoat sound as you walk. I love their stretch chinos but these are nothing like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I got the JCF lightweight chinos in canvas and in blue. I love them both. The canvas is a perfect off-white colour, and the blue is a brighter, more summery blue (perfect with a light brown or tobacco sportcoat, which is one of my summer go-tos). They're a genuine summer weight and quite nicely made.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I have some of last year ON light weights, so no stretch, and I like them a lot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I'm wearing a pair of the JCF lightweight chinos in canvas right now, and they're amazing. If you can wait they'll probably run a nice sale on them over Memorial Day weekend, which is one I got them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Not sure how the weight really compares. But, the Amazon GoodThreads have a little nice stretch, and seem to breathe pretty well for me. Mid 80s the last couple days, I've been plenty comfortable.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    I don't have any experience with these Target Merona chinos but if they're anything like the shorts they could be worth looking into. I have the 8" shorts and they're fantastic for the price. They're not exactly summer weight but they're light and flexible. I plan on picking up more of the shorts and looking into the chinos the next time I'm by a Target.

http://www.target.com/p/men-s-slim-f...3/-/A-51130779

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Is Banana Republic going to come out with anything?