Thread: Berg & Berg vs Vanda

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Berg & Berg vs Vanda

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with theses two Brands. I'm trying to step up my tie collection and found these two.

Berg & Berg does run sales and costs around $75 per tie. Stock seems to be seasonal.

http://bergbergstore.com/accessories...-tie-navy.html

In contrast Vanda ties costs about double around $130 and have multiple versions of of the same tie weith width and legth options and a healthy seleciton.

https://vandafineclothing.com/

Is Vanda worth the extra $$?
    Best,
    Paul

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I have ties from both brands and the Vanda one is significantly better. My main issue with the Berg&Berg ties is the width (8 cm is a bit small) and the ability to deliver a nice deep knot. I don't get a reliable dimple with the silk ties and it is near impossible with the thicker grenadine (wool/silk blend) tie I have. In contrast, my Vanda is wider (8.5-9 cm), ties a great knot and has fantastic drape (likely as a result of the seven fold construction and not fabric itself).

In between these two in pricing you can get Sam Hober and Yellow Hook, both of which IMO are superior to B&B and similar in quality to Vanda, with often less cost.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    I have ties from both brands and the Vanda one is significantly better. My main issue with the Berg&Berg ties is the width (8 cm is a bit small) and the ability to deliver a nice deep knot. I don't get a reliable dimple with the silk ties and it is near impossible with the thicker grenadine (wool/silk blend) tie I have. In contrast, my Vanda is wider (8.5-9 cm), ties a great knot and has fantastic drape (likely as a result of the seven fold construction and not fabric itself).

In between these two in pricing you can get Sam Hober and Yellow Hook, both of which IMO are superior to B&B and similar in quality to Vanda, with often less cost.
    Best,
    Paul

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Yellowhook is having their spring tie clearance so you can get them for $70 currently.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Appreciate the response. Bit too wide for my taste
    Best,
    Paul

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)
    i've never heard of any single tie brand mentioned in this thread so far?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i've never heard of any single tie brand mentioned in this thread so far?
    Haha yes, ties are a tricky thing since I see fewer and fewer people wearing them outside of the #menswear IG crowd. I only know Berg & Berg through one of the bloggers I follow - The Nordic Fit <http://thenordicfit.com/> - and get many of my ties from Suitsupply since they seem reasonably priced. Since then, some other brands got my attention like House of Kydos, Vanada, Yellowhook, Drakes, Shibumi etc but its still difficult for me to spend triple digits for a tie.
    Best,
    Paul