Thread: How much can a suit be taken in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How much can a suit be taken in?

Three years ago I bought a Suitsupply Napoli fit suit in size 42. I was 220 lbs. at 5'11" tall. I wore it for a bunch of weddings, a few job interviews, and out and about on a few dates and I loved how it fit.

I've since lost 50 lbs and look like I'm drowning grey wool when wearing it. I rarely need a suit more than a handful of times each year, and since my waistline is still dropping (albeit more slowly) I'm hesitant to purchase a new one.

How much can a suit be taken in? Is it worth having mine altered?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    First off, HUGE congrats on the weight loss!

In regards to your question I hate to say it, but don't bother trying to get it altered. A 50lb+ weight loss is significant and I really don't think a tailor could bring everything in that much. You also mentioned that you don't wear it too much and that your waistline is still dropping. With that in mind I would suggest you try to sell the current suit and set aside that money for later. Keep up the good work with the weight loss and, when you need a suit again, buy one with the money you set aside.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    A good rule of thumb is, if you have to alter the shoulder width to make it fit, it won't.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Taking the sides in on a suit jacket (below the arm holes) is a routine alteration. I'm pretty sure I had this done on my Napoli suits, and I'm happy with the results. I had a lot taken in on the sides on my Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald 1818 suit at the suggestion of a salesperson. I think I actually had too much taken in, and it adversely affected the way it drapes on the chest. It still looks appropriate, but the risk is higher when you take a lot in.

Will you need the suit on short notice while you are continuing to lose weight? If so, then it might be a good idea to make an alteration now. Otherwise, I would wait. Ideally, you would wait for some time after you are done losing weight, since most people require some time to reach a stable weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the insights, guys. I'll probably keep it in the back of my closet as is for now, and see what I end up needing down the road.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Since it is Suit Supply and I am about the same size and weight as you, I suggest you post fit pics. I doubt you are drowning in wool.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    Since it is Suit Supply and I am about the same size and weight as you, I suggest you post fit pics. I doubt you are drowning in wool.
    Fit pics are a fine idea, but if he was able to button it 50 pounds ago, I would expect that "drowning if wool" is about right. Lost nearly 25% of his body weight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Fit pics are a fine idea, but if he was able to button it 50 pounds ago, I would expect that "drowning if wool" is about right. Lost nearly 25% of his body weight.
    Agreed. 50lbs on a 5'11" frame is a lot of weight no matter how you carried it.