Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Advice needed to buy my first suit.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Advice needed to buy my first suit.

    I've been trying to purchase my first suit lately. But the problem is I can't make a different in between full canvassed and fused or even quality of the fabric.

    I went to Saks of 5th, and I tried some HF and Canali suits. I like them and they are the only one can fit me perfectly while I'm 5.4 short.

    On the other hand when I ask them or even on their online descriptions it says fully lined. But when I did some researches I found out they are not fully canvassed.

    When it comes to price, I'm willing to get something in between 700-1000$ depending on quality. I wear 40s and I'm looking for navy or charcoal. Maybe both if I can find something on saks of 5th for "buy one get one free".

    Thanks.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Get thee to Brooks Brothers. For a first suit you can't go wrong.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    797
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    If they fit you perfectly and it's your first suit in a basic color, I would just go ahead and buy it. HF and Canali are high-quality brands and they are most likely half-canvassed or fully canvassed, but with those 2 brands I wouldn't hesitate to buy a fused suit if it fit and looked great on me. The suggestion for Brooks is also a great one and I think they have a 2 for $899 summer suit sale right now. It's mostly Brookscool and cotton suits but at the very least go to a BB and have a good SA fit you. If you get one that acts condescending or inattentive, go to the manager and ask for a different SA and tell them why.I've had one bad and many good experiences in BBs but the bad one put me off of them for almost a year before I gave them another chance.

    To tell if it's fully canvassed, go to the bottom of the jacket between the pocket and the lapel and pinch the lining in one hand and the outside layer of wool in the other and see if you feel a third layer of cloth in between the two. Sometimes the canvas sticks to the outer layer but you can get them apart unless it's fusing. For half-canvassed that's a little harder as even most fused suits have a small canvas chest piece but if you feel a large chest piece that extends down to the neighborhood of the bottom of the inside pocket across the entire front panel, it's probably half-canvassed.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hardykoye View Post
    I've been trying to purchase my first suit lately. But the problem is I can't make a different in between full canvassed and fused or even quality of the fabric.

    I went to Saks of 5th, and I tried some HF and Canali suits. I like them and they are the only one can fit me perfectly while I'm 5.4 short.

    On the other hand when I ask them or even on their online descriptions it says fully lined. But when I did some researches I found out they are not fully canvassed.

    When it comes to price, I'm willing to get something in between 700-1000$ depending on quality. I wear 40s and I'm looking for navy or charcoal. Maybe both if I can find something on saks of 5th for "buy one get one free".

    Thanks.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a substantial budget for a first suit. My advice is, unless you have an immediate need (like and interview or a wedding), slow down and do a lot of research. Almost everyone makes mistakes when buying a suit for the first time so you may want to start with something less expensive. Also, if you are 5'4" and wear a size 40, it may be difficult finding something off the rack. You might want to choose a store like Brooks Brothers or Suitsupply and has people that can help with alterations.

    Finally, check out The Modest Man blog. It has a lot of advice on brands and tips for shorter guys.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Curious: Why would you spend 700-1000 on your first suit? If quality and fit are the issue, most people on mens' style forums seem to agree that SuitSupply or BB would be a good choice, and their suits are about $400-$500, i think. If you live in NYC you could go to a store and get fitted.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    I bought a Saks 'Black' label suit from Off 5th a couple years ago ($279.00) and it's great. Half canvassed, Zegna cloth, made in the US. If I had one of those stores closer to me, so I could go try on jackets, I'd probably buy most of my suits there.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member CJMichaelRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    551
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hardykoye View Post
    On the other hand when I ask them or even on their online descriptions it says fully lined. But when I did some researches I found out they are not fully canvassed.

    When it comes to price, I'm willing to get something in between 700-1000$ depending on quality. I wear 40s and I'm looking for navy or charcoal. Maybe both if I can find something on saks of 5th for "buy one get one free".
    These are the two points I want to address.

    Regarding lining vs canvasing. Canvasing is the interlining of the suit, which is made up of a canvas material (cotton/horsehair/wool mixes) that give the jacket shape while lining is the material that covers the inside of the suit to hide imperfections in the stitching on the inside, protect the fabrics, etc. Most suits are going to be fully lined. If they're canvased at all (even if it's just half canvased), then it's going to hold shape better than a fused suit. A fully-canvased suit just means that the canvas reaches all the way to the bottom of the suit's front-side instead of just to around the top button, and will hold shape just a bit better. Nothing wrong with staying half-canvased. Fused suiting means that the interlining and suit's shell fabrics were glued together and I'd personally suggest to stay away from it, even with higher-end brands.

    Regarding your budget, you're in great shape with being ready to spend up to $1,000. Including tailoring, you can get a fantastic suit. As mentioned already in the thread, Brooks Bro's is a great company, but their sizing can be really "generous" and I'd suggest to size down to possibly a 38S. SuitSupply is another great brand in your budget range as well. You could even get into some nice online MTM (made-to-measure) to get one built to your measurements and get an almost-bespoke fit if time isn't tight. Brands like Indochino, Black Lapel, and some of the more affordable options from Knot Standard.

    I'd personally suggest navy since you're in the USA. It's a great color that provides function for interviews, weddings, business, etc. It's easy to have some fun with, too. I feel like colors play a lot better with navy suits than charcoal and if you do go all-black with black shoes & a black tie, navy looks less stuffy.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    These are the two points I want to address.

    Regarding lining vs canvasing. Canvasing is the interlining of the suit, which is made up of a canvas material (cotton/horsehair/wool mixes) that give the jacket shape while lining is the material that covers the inside of the suit to hide imperfections in the stitching on the inside, protect the fabrics, etc. Most suits are going to be fully lined. If they're canvased at all (even if it's just half canvased), then it's going to hold shape better than a fused suit. A fully-canvased suit just means that the canvas reaches all the way to the bottom of the suit's front-side instead of just to around the top button, and will hold shape just a bit better. Nothing wrong with staying half-canvased. Fused suiting means that the interlining and suit's shell fabrics were glued together and I'd personally suggest to stay away from it, even with higher-end brands.

    Regarding your budget, you're in great shape with being ready to spend up to $1,000. Including tailoring, you can get a fantastic suit. As mentioned already in the thread, Brooks Bro's is a great company, but their sizing can be really "generous" and I'd suggest to size down to possibly a 38S. SuitSupply is another great brand in your budget range as well. You could even get into some nice online MTM (made-to-measure) to get one built to your measurements and get an almost-bespoke fit if time isn't tight. Brands like Indochino, Black Lapel, and some of the more affordable options from Knot Standard.

    I'd personally suggest navy since you're in the USA. It's a great color that provides function for interviews, weddings, business, etc. It's easy to have some fun with, too. I feel like colors play a lot better with navy suits than charcoal and if you do go all-black with black shoes & a black tie, navy looks less stuffy.
    Thank you so much. I get better ideas for what I'm going to get. And I definitely considered BB but the problem is when it come to jacket length, they look big for me. And the reason I mentioned HF and Canali is because they are the only brand they fits me well. Because they have length in 28-29in length.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxonus View Post
    Get thee to Brooks Brothers. For a first suit you can't go wrong.
    I agree and I tried their suits. But the problem is their jacket length look to big on me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volador View Post
    Curious: Why would you spend 700-1000 on your first suit? If quality and fit are the issue, most people on mens' style forums seem to agree that SuitSupply or BB would be a good choice, and their suits are about $400-$500, i think. If you live in NYC you could go to a store and get fitted.
    The reason for my budget range is, I would rather not have any or buy something can be worth buying. I agree with you but if you look at the numbers, 500 is not a small amount as well. I think my budget is within middle if you look at really good quality suits at NM or Nordstrom for over 1500$.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •