Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed to buy my first suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    I bought a Saks 'Black' label suit from Off 5th a couple years ago ($279.00) and it's great. Half canvassed, Zegna cloth, made in the US. If I had one of those stores closer to me, so I could go try on jackets, I'd probably buy most of my suits there.
    Hmm. This is very interesting. I was avoiding all the Zegna suits at Saks. Because what people talking about, how to not buy in house products. Or any brand made specifically for department stores. Like Zegna for Saks and so on. But I will definitely give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I think you would do well to avoid the urge to spend that much on your first suit. I know you want to get something good, but you can get extremely high quality suits for $500 or $400 - indeed, the difference between most $1000 suits and a Brooks Brothers or Suitsupply is mostly the luxury label. HF and Canali are lovely clothes, but SS and BB are probably similarly good quality in terms of their fabrics and construction, for a non-connoisseur a range of fits is more important that any difference in handiwork you might find. If I were you, I'd go into a SS and a larger branch of BB and try on a bunch of different fits and styles to find out what you're most comfortable with. Then, once you've worn it over half a year and found out what you like and don't like about it, get a second suit in the same price range (adding in a few other options, such as Benjamin Sartorial).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    For a first suit i would go with Brooks Brothers. I would not recommend SS.
    You can never have enough shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNJ83 View Post
    For a first suit i would go with Brooks Brothers. I would not recommend SS.
    Interesting! Why? I have both BB (1818 line) and SS, and I much prefer my SS suits and sportcoats - greater range of fabrics and cuts. But I don't work in a very formal industry.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTH View Post
    Interesting! Why? I have both BB (1818 line) and SS, and I much prefer my SS suits and sportcoats - greater range of fabrics and cuts. But I don't work in a very formal industry.
    Well, I am not a big fan anymore. I have three of their suits, including a "super 150" Hartford, and to me, if I am going to buy a well made in China suit, I might as well pay a lot less and go with Spier and McKay.

I also think that Brooks Brothers 1818 and above (none of their outlet trash) if by far superior in cut, quality, and drape than either SS or S&M as a made in the USA suit. I think a well tailored Brooks Brothers suit is in a different ballpark altogether and probably the best value when they go on sale for two for 1200 or so.
    You can never have enough shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNJ83 View Post
    Well, I am not a big fan anymore. I have three of their suits, including a "super 150" Hartford, and to me, if I am going to buy a well made in China suit, I might as well pay a lot less and go with Spier and McKay.

I also think that Brooks Brothers 1818 and above (none of their outlet trash) if by far superior in cut, quality, and drape than either SS or S&M as a made in the USA suit. I think a well tailored Brooks Brothers suit is in a different ballpark altogether and probably the best value when they go on sale for two for 1200 or so.
    I haven't tried S&M suits or sportcoats, although I have some lovely shirts from them. And I'm not convinced that made in USA is always better quality than made in China (although you may have other reasons for preferring it).

But I think that comparing BB to SS involves a big element of subjective preference. My favourite SS cut is the Havana - I love soft tailoring (even in suits), and I think it offers an incredible price point for a style that can otherwise only be found with expensive Italian brands. For comparison, I also have pieces from LBM 1911 / Lubiam, Caruso and Eidos Napoli (all made in Italy) and I probably wear my SS Havanas more often (of course, they don't have the same levels of handiwork etc, but that rarely affects my decision of what to wear on a given day). In a more formal work environment, I can totally see going for BB. But for me, the slightly more casual style and ease of breaking the suit up into separates that you get with things like the SS Havana is perfect for my needs. And SS offers some lovely and unusual fabrics, including things that perfectly straddle the smart / casual line.