Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on summer / spring loafers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Help on summer / spring loafers

I have had a hard time finding loafers that straddle the line between dress and casual and don't squeak. In the summer I wear chinos or fitted shorts and a polo. In the spring / fall it's usually chinos or dark denim, button down and a blazer. I was looking at these two AE's and welcome any feedback. Also open to suggestions, but I don't do AE seconds after a less than stellar experience. Price is up to $500. I have already owned and returned AE Kenwoods for poor fit and Aschers for always squeaking.

Cavanaugh in Walnut
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...5#BVRRWidgetID

Sea Island in Tan
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...=69130#start=9

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    I love my Sea Islands. They lean on the casual side, but the color you chose can work if your dress environment is pretty relaxed. They are so comfortable it should be illegal!

I have always struggled to find loafers that are dressy and casual. Calf skin slightly elongated toes always feel too dressy for shorts. Rounded moccasin toes always feel too casual for nice chinos and trousers, IMHO. The Peal penny's that @Token linked Would be my choice if trying to Accomplish it with one shoe.

For $500, you could get the Sea Islands and a pair of Jack Erwin's:

https://www.jackerwin.com/products/a...nac-full-grain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    I own the Cavanaugh in tan and they do squeak a little bit if you're wearing them without socks, but less so with no-show socks. It doesn't bother me since there's usually enough background noise to mask the squeaking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I love my Sea Islands. They lean on the casual side, but the color you chose can work if your dress environment is pretty relaxed. They are so comfortable it should be illegal!

I have always struggled to find loafers that are dressy and casual. Calf skin slightly elongated toes always feel too dressy for shorts. Rounded moccasin toes always feel too casual for nice chinos and trousers, IMHO. The Peal penny's that @Token linked Would be my choice if trying to Accomplish it with one shoe.

For $500, you could get the Sea Islands and a pair of Jack Erwin's:

https://www.jackerwin.com/products/a...nac-full-grain
    I also own a pair of Sea Islands and also love them. I had to size up in length and down in width from my normal AE size to get them to fit correctly (I am normally a 13EEE, but for the sea islands i have 14D). Now that i got the sizing right they are extremely comfortable. To me they are casual enough to be worn with shorts and a polo, but formal enough to look good with some chinos or linen trousers. Quality wise my pair is fantastic, but they are made in the Dominican Republic which I could see some people counting against them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaitreTea View Post
    I own the Cavanaugh in tan and they do squeak a little bit if you're wearing them without socks, but less so with no-show socks. It doesn't bother me since there's usually enough background noise to mask the squeaking.
    +1 on the Cavanaughs. The Sea Islands look nice, but I'd consider them more casual than dressy, so I don't know that they could be used for dual purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    @Loafer28 I was hoping to hear from you. My work environment is extremely casual as we have no real dress code and thus band shirts, shorts, and flip flops are very common. I have had and goodwilled a pair of Jack Erwin Abe and Charlie as they never wore very comfortable after a month break in period. I'm probably going to snag the Sea Islands since more than one have commented how insanely comfortable they are with no mention of the dreaded squeaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    @Me27 I wear an 11D in all my AE (multiple park aves, mcallisters, and kennilworths). Do you think the Sea Island last apparently running short and really wide caused the change or is the suede more forgiving after breaking in?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Cavanaughs are nice and definitely straddle the dressy/casual line, leaning more towards dressy in dark leather less so in light leather or suede. My pair is not optimal for me due to my high instep, Aschers fit much better as do Achesons. To me GYW loafers look clunky versus a good Blake/BlakeRapid. I have a pair of Santoni loafers that just look much sleeker next to the Cavanaughs. I got them NIB off of ebay for a song and wish I could find a few more pairs at that price in other colors like tan leather or tobacco suede.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
    @Me27 I wear an 11D in all my AE (multiple park aves, mcallisters, and kennilworths). Do you think the Sea Island last apparently running short and really wide caused the change or is the suede more forgiving after breaking in?
    Their definitely more forgiving compared to structured smooth leather AEs, but I think the primary issue with these is the last. If your looking at getting a pair I'd start with 11.5D (assuming there is not a store in your area you can try them on in).