Thread: Anyone own a Cartier watch?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Anyone own a Cartier watch?

I've been lurking around the watch pages here and learning a lot. I've never had a watch that cost more than $200 but I am feeling more ready to dig in.

I'm looking for something pretty clean and universal - wear with jeans to tux - and Cartier watches keep coming up. It seems like they are a menswear classic but maybe not so popular right now. Is that right? And if they are less popular now, does that mean I could find a good deal on a used one?

I'd be really interested to hear from guys who own them and see some pix. I seem to find mostly photos of women wearing them. I like that JFK wore a Cartier watch - and I hear Kate Middleton does too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    264 Post(s)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Cartier

I personally like to know the horological history behind my watches. Cartier is a good choice. They might not be "in vogue" in some circles right now, but I don't feel that it takes away from the interest of their pieces. I would stick to the classics like the Tank or the Santos.

Personally I prefer the JLC Reverso, but that is a dream watch for me .

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks - never saw JLC Reverso before - sort of like Tank and with Arabic number which I prefer

Do you have a sense of why Cartier watches aren't in vogue right now? Just curious, I don't mind having something slightly different.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Cartier watches have always been 'in vogue,' and likely always will be, unless they start doing a bunch of crazy stuff with the designs. They're very nice watches and works of art, basically. I think the reason you don't see that that many men wearing them is they're: 1. Fairly expensive. 2. In a price bracket similar to Rolex and a bunch of other upscale brands. I was shopping them about 15 years ago and ended up just buying a Rolex. If I would have bought a Cartier, I guarantee I would have gotten about 1,000 'nice watch' compliments since then, instead of approximately 3 'nice watch' comments. Luckily, I don't care.

The point is, buy a Cartier if you want one. Just because a lot of men don't have one or can't afford one doesn't mean they aren't cool. That may actually make them more desirable.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1063 Post(s)
    The tanks are very classic watches. You just have to watch out for quartz movements and the gold plated versions unless you want those or are the only tanks in your price range.

At some point I assume I will end up with a Tank Solo XL with an automatic movement. There is a CPCP version with a made for case square movement but they are hard to find used due to the limited production run.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    The tanks are very classic watches. You just have to watch out for quartz movements and the gold plated versions unless you want those or are the only tanks in your price range.

Ugh knew I was missing something. Been looking at Cartier on Crown and Caliber and seeing how they can be less that Rolex. Some of that seems to be because they are quartz - not what I wanted. New to learning the watches. Thanks.

Pic you shared is great. Bet it's out of my price range, which I'm still establishing.