Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Vineyard Vines

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    People that look like me face persistent discrimination in multiple aspects of our lives to the extent that the stress literally takes years off our lives...
    Seriously. You're joking, right? This is 2017...not 1897. Please cite me some reliable study that would prove this claim. Hint, an article from Vox, Daily Kos, Daily Beast, Young Turks, or Mother Jones doesn't count.

And if you are that stressed....may I suggest that you find a different job.
    Last edited by mFriedman; April 27th, 2017 at 01:40 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mFriedman View Post
    Seriously. You're joking, right? This is 2017...not 1897. Please cite me some reliable study that would prove this claim. Hint, an article from Vox, Daily Kos, Daily Beast, Young Turks, or Mother Jones doesn't count.

And if you are that stressed....may I suggest that you find a different job.
    Here's one example, via Forbes
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/melanie.../#3ea556827127

Another, though for women only, via the American Psychological Association:
    http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/01/a...-american.aspx

It's quite remarkable how you really have to jump up and try to slap down statements about racism. I'd be so embarrassed if my first response on hearing a woman complaining about sexism was to push back. If that was my immediate response, I'd really try to check myself. YMMV.

Your first post in the entire thread (to me, saying "You must be really fun to talk with at parties......") is an example of the kind of BS even economically well-off black people face in the US - somebody has to mock our complaints or decisions. It's tiresome and draining.

PS - It's kind of weird that you bring up jobs as a source of stress, considering the widespread discrimination by race in the job market and workplace. But hey, Lincoln ended slavery so it's not that bad.
    Last edited by JT10000; April 27th, 2017 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelennor View Post
    I also have a question about one of your initial statements about the minstrel trope at play in the VV catalog. Would you characterize this same photograph as racist had there been more diversity in the catalog? Or was it racist because the only way in which they represented a minority was by playing an instrument? I just ask this because I see danger in saying that a company is racist solely because they depict any PoC playing an instrument. However I see your point if the reasoning was that the man was depicted as a performer in an entirely white racial environment. Sorry if you have already answered this, as you can tell I'm a little late to the dance here.
    I don't think there are hard and fast rules. For me, if the catalog was brimming with PoC, I wouldn't notice the sole musician being black. If it had a white musician and a black musician and a few PoC as consumers, I probably wouldn't notice either.

Black people are sometimes musicians. They almost always should be considered as consumers. Non-black people are sometimes musicians.
    Last edited by JT10000; April 27th, 2017 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I have to say the vineyard vines is a great company, and also that Dappered seems to love sucking it for Jcrew... and as more than a trend... j crew suiting is absolute fodder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Vineyard Vines

Quote Originally Posted by ThatLarsenGuy View Post
    I have to say the vineyard vines is a great company, and also that Dappered seems to love sucking it for Jcrew... and as more than a trend... j crew suiting is absolute fodder.

I really and truly believe that Dappered wouldn't know quality fabric if such a thing was their own skin, regardless of affordability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I really and truly believe that Dappered wouldn't know quality fabric if such a thing was their own skin, regardless of affordability.

Go the the Cape and you'll see plenty of adults and well dressed folks wearing vineyard; more than plenty.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)
    Go the the Cape and you'll see plenty of adults and well dressed folks wearing vineyard; more than plenty.

....are you talking to yourself?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    We're done here. If you want to act like little boys, go somewhere else. If you want to respect each other, stick around.