Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vineyard Vines

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Vineyard Vines

They don't get much play on here, but Ive been checking them out recently and they have some nice summer fabrics. Anyone have any advice on their fits. I've been looking at the Slim "Tucker" fit, but havent been really able to find much on how slim they really are. Does anyone have any advice they could give on their various fits and how they would compare to a BB, CT, JCrew, or BR branded shirt. Thanks!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    They don't get much play on here, but Ive been checking them out recently and they have some nice summer fabrics. Anyone have any advice on their fits. I've been looking at the Slim "Tucker" fit, but havent been really able to find much on how slim they really are. Does anyone have any advice they could give on their various fits and how they would compare to a BB, CT, JCrew, or BR branded shirt. Thanks!
    I can't answer that question, in part because I can't stand that company. I got a catalog from them last year that had one (1) nonwhite person - a black guy w/dreadlocks and steel drum who the text said was providing "island entertainment."

It's the 21st century and that's how they present themselves. Gross.
    Last edited by JT10000; April 21st, 2017 at 07:40 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Vinyard Vines also doesn't get much play on here because their clothes are a walking billboard for the brand. I think most of us will pass on clothes with such prominent brand logos.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    626 Post(s)
    Overall I think they make kind of meh clothes.

For $98 you can get a lot nicer shirt, possibly even one that is made in a first world country. VV certainly don't make horrible shirts, but for the money they're not very good at all. You could find something from Brooks Brothers a lot cheaper, most of the time. The only viable argument for buying any oft their stuff might be that they have a lot better casual options than BB does sometimes, but I still don't think it's the ticket.

Unless you've some need to be associated with some kind of neo-prep trend, like you are a self conscious undergrad at Harvard trying to fit in or are going out to garden parties in Newport RI for a weekend, i'm not sure there's a practical reason to buy any of the stuff. Maybe you're really into your whatever it is, business or team or whatever, and you need a pattern tie to go with it? fine I guess that makes some sense maybe. Still expensive for what you get.

If you're trying to dress trad, the whole trad thing is that the old brands and old trends are the ones. They would politely say 'fuck the new ones', trads don't got time for that. In fact I would say most of the old money in New England looks down at something that conspicuous and showy anyways. The instant that VV stores expanded past Edgartown, i think it no longer had real cache. It was just some interest for the nouveau riche of crossover-vehicle towns in bland suburbs of Massachusetts.

I think it's a matter of taste ultimately, but I have never in my entire life desired to wear a label of some company on my body. This goes for RL ugly polo players just as well as conspicuously happy little whales.

edit: sorry I think this post is really quite sassy, I haven't had my coffee yet and it's raining.
    Last edited by evanparker; April 21st, 2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: too sassy

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Their target demographic is out-of-shape older men and their clothing is designed to fit that body type. Nothing they offer is even remotely slim even if it's labeled as such. Everything is baggy and ill fitting through and through. I've been given some of their clothing and everything but a sweatshirt was donate to charity almost immediately because it fit so poorly. I'm also from New England and happen to be in complete agreement with @evanparker.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Their target demographic is out-of-shape older men and their clothing is designed to fit that body type. Nothing they offer is even remotely slim even if it's labeled as such. Everything is baggy and ill fitting through and through. I've been given some of their clothing and everything but a sweatshirt was donate to charity almost immediately because it fit so poorly. I'm also from New England and happen to be in complete agreement with @evanparker.
    Actually I think their target demographic is teens and 20-somethings. That's who I see wearing VV including my teenage daughters. I certainly don't see guys my age wearing them.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
    Actually I think their target demographic is teens and 20-somethings. That's who I see wearing VV including my teenage daughters. I certainly don't see guys my age wearing them.
    I have to agree with that. Falls right in with the Hollister/Abercrobie/American Eagle demo in my area. I don't see the brand a lot but haven't noticed on an adult yet. This thread is amusing. I walked int he store and right back out because it just didnt seem like a good price/performace ratio for my spending habits. I dig the prep look but they just didnt seem nice enough for those price tags based on putting my hands on the products. Trad/Prep stuff isnt too tough to find at good prices.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
    I'm going to agree. I live near a college campus and the only people I see wearing their clothing are the students. The further I get away from campus the less I see it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I like the overall look, but a bit over branded and definitely overpriced.

Great for college students, I love the college preppy look, but as a New Englander I'll be 100% judgemental and say wearing Vineyard Vines, especially as an adult, gives off a "I am pretending I'm New England rich and own a boat, and am likely a jackweed" vibe.

Unless you actually do own a yacht or sailboat, or a home on Nantucket, Martha's, or a home on the cape no more than 1 road back from the ocean. Then have at it and enjoy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Just because you see teens and twenty somethings wearing Vineyard Vines doesn't mean its not targeted toward an older demographic. Take a look through their catalog and you'll see most of the models are middle aged and not particularly fit. Its mostly older guys on yachts or at the beach.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I do know a bunch of people that wear a lot of Vineyard Vines and they're from both the young and older demographic. Regardless, my initial point is that their clothing is generously cut.