Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Vineyard Vines

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNJ83 View Post
    Putting "token" minority people is what's gross and offensive IMO. I don't expect any given race to be "represented" in an ad nor does it have any bearing in my decision to purchase that product or not. There are many things geared towards certain groups and it would be absurd for anyone to think that white, black, brown and any given group "has" to be represented in every piece of advertisement just to quell the insane PC police.
    I don't think his issue was the lack of "token minority people" but that the only person of color was portrayed in a passively racist manner.
    Last edited by Geo; April 21st, 2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    I think I'd rather buy three shirts at Land's End than one shirt at VV.

Before making this comment (in order to make sure it's PC), I checked the LE website and it has a photo of a black guy running through a bunch of waves; so I think we're good here.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phatte View Post
    Perhaps this is just indicative that teens and young adults seem far more likely to frequent brands that DO put a label on things. It's instant identification with a "tribe," which seems far more important at that age. I can remember feeling the same way. People want their purchases to be recognized. It's why every girl I knew in the early 2000s (when I was in my early 20s) had at least two of those awful Coach bags with the logo all over them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WDnukuUc84

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    626 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    I think I'd rather buy three shirts at Land's End than one shirt at VV.

Before making this comment (in order to make sure it's PC), I checked the LE website and it has a photo of a black guy running through a bunch of waves; so I think we're good here.

I think it's actually really funny, in the 1990's when I was growing up i think Lands End used to the be the less-outdoors-oriented version of LL Bean. Just as many stodgy outfits and unhip people in the cataloge.

I think these days Lands End has managed to be a lot cooler than LL Bean, who has remind completely undeterred in their quest to be the least-cool clothes brand next to Faded Glory.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I don't think his issue was the lack of "token minority people" but that the only person of color was portrayed in a passively racist manner.
    So trying to advertise to white people is racist? Is it also racist to try to advertise to black, asians or any other group, or is that delightful label reserved only for whites? BTW, I am a mixed race person...just trying to figure out what about VV is so ""offensive"" here
    You can never have enough shoes

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    626 Post(s)
    They may as well have their mammy house keeper looking after the yacht owners kids! Yikes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    So trying to advertise to white people is racist? Is it also racist to try to advertise to black, asians or any other group, or is that delightful label reserved only for whites? BTW, I am a mixed race person...just trying to figure out what about VV is so ""offensive"" here
    Where did I say its racist to advertise to any particular ethnicity? I merely suggested that JT10000 was probably offended because the only representation of a person of color was "a black guy w/dreadlocks and steel drum who the text said was providing "island entertainment.""

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I have to wonder about white people who would be turned off by a few people who didn't have their skin color being shown in marketing. Are white people you know really so fragile that any sort of diversity would reduce sales? Dang.

And Geo, thanks for your comments, but actually while the stereotyping of the minstrel was the worst part, the total whiteness annoys me too. I wouldn't get mad at, say a company in Sweden in the 1980s only have white people in their staff and marketing. That's who is around.

But in 2016 in Martha's Vineyard or coastal New England? W T F? They have to work at it to keep things that uniform.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    I have to wonder about white people who would be turned off by a few people who didn't have their skin color being shown in marketing. Are white people you know really so fragile that any sort of diversity would reduce sales? Dang.
    Do you have any proof that was Vineyard Vines' state of mind, concern, or goal. Or are you simply just calling the company racist because they placed a magazine into circulation that only featured white models? Forgive me, but without any proof of your claim, that is quite leap of a conclusion. Not everything in the world is racist.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I'm saying the company used a racist trope (the minstrel) in marketing that was otherwise 100% white, and for an organization in a diverse society, representing a brand named after a place with lots of black people, that's offensive.

They might not be explicitly or intentionally racist, but their actions are reflective of the perpetuation of racism in media, marketing, and many elements of our society. I grew up swimming in it, and it's a drag. It's getting better, but slower than I would like.

With so many companies, big and small, doing a better job at having diversity in marketing (and even in their workforce and friends, if what hornsup says is true about VV's marketing), it's weak and I wouldn't buy their stuff even if I liked it. Though actually I did once - in a store in Oak Bluffs (a sunglass strap).

It's remarkable that someone calling them out for that offends you. That's what offends you? Seriously? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by mFriedman View Post
    Do you have any proof that was Vineyard Vines' state of mind, concern, or goal. Or are you simply just calling the company racist because they placed a magazine into circulation that only featured white models? Forgive me, but without any proof of your claim, that is quite leap of a conclusion.
    Hahaha. Do you use that same standard in drawing conclusions about other things in the world, or only when defending companies with racist marketing campaigns?

Quote Originally Posted by mFriedman View Post
    Not everything in the world is racist.
    Yup. Like I said directly above your comment, marketing from an all-white place that is all white doesn't bother me. From this brand, yes it does and yes it is. Maybe it's not intentionally racinst, as in "We don't like black people" but I'm calling out their racist behavior, not intent.
    Last edited by JT10000; April 21st, 2017 at 02:46 PM.