Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vineyard Vines

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1071 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Just because you see teens and twenty somethings wearing Vineyard Vines doesn't mean its not targeted toward an older demographic. Take a look through their catalog and you'll see most of the models are middle aged and not particularly fit. Its mostly older guys on yachts or at the beach.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I do know a bunch of people that wear a lot of Vineyard Vines and they're from both the young and older demographic. Regardless, my initial point is that their clothing is generously cut.
    well, then they are missing their target. but that wouldnt be the first time a company did that. I nver tried them on so I cant speak to the cuts but I trust you. Trad/prep is typically not slim anyway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    I can't answer that question, in part because I can't stand that company. I got a catalog from them last year that had one (1) nonwhite person - a black guy w/dreadlocks and steel drum who the text said was providing "island entertainment."

It's the 21st century and that's how they present themselves. Gross.
    You must be really fun to talk with at parties......
    Last edited by mFriedman; April 21st, 2017 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mFriedman View Post
    You must be really fun to talk with a parties......
    That's your takeaway from my comment - rather than ignoring me calling this out if you don't care about the issue, you mock me?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    They definitely are only appealing to a certain subset of the population. I used to wear their stuff in college, but now I don't think any of it remains after I learned more about good fit. I also have drastically reduced the items of clothing I wear that have a logo on it. At this point, technically some of my polos do (Criquet, so they aren't very aggressive) and some casual tshirts.

And for what it's worth, in the numerous catalogs of theirs I've received over the years, there have been some persons of color--more than just the 'island entertainment' concept, too, but it definitely is a white-heavy group, in part because a lot of their 'models' are (or used to be when I was receiving the catalogs) their employees and their families. I try not to judge people when I don't know their intent, unless it becomes overtly obvious they're doing something wrong on purpose. YMMV I guess

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    I'm going to agree. I live near a college campus and the only people I see wearing their clothing are the students. The further I get away from campus the less I see it.
    Perhaps this is just indicative that teens and young adults seem far more likely to frequent brands that DO put a label on things. It's instant identification with a "tribe," which seems far more important at that age. I can remember feeling the same way. People want their purchases to be recognized. It's why every girl I knew in the early 2000s (when I was in my early 20s) had at least two of those awful Coach bags with the logo all over them.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Thx Hornsup.

The catalog I got looked like it was a shoot on location in a warmer island than the Vineyard, and the people were models, not staff/friends. Or else extremely good looking staff/friends, which is possible.

I've lived with passive or unintentional racism enough that I don't let intent be my only criterion anymore. If you're a medium or big company, you've got to at least try to be better. Or I'll call you out.

It's the 21st century - it's not that hard. My mom and brother live on Martha's Vineyard by the way. My father and two grandparents did until they passed away. There are plenty of people of color there.

LL Bean and Land's End got diverse in their catalogs a couple decades ago and to me, who had worn those companies for years, it was so nice to see. Some of us notice this stuff because we've gone for decades being not seeing ourselves in those ways.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    I'll chime in with the obligatory "if you like it, go for it". Do yo thang man

I used to wear VV in college, before they had slim fits in anything. I was satisfied with the quality and still have a couple shirts (with logo and without) that I've since gotten tailored to fit better. I just took a spin through their website and they certainly have a lot of summery/preppy patterns & fabrics. And they have stuff without logos on it, which I prefer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Putting "token" minority people is what's gross and offensive IMO. I don't expect any given race to be "represented" in an ad nor does it have any bearing in my decision to purchase that product or not. There are many things geared towards certain groups and it would be absurd for anyone to think that white, black, brown and any given group "has" to be represented in every piece of advertisement just to quell the insane PC police.
    You can never have enough shoes

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1071 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    That's your takeaway from my comment - rather than ignoring me calling this out if you don't care about the issue, you mock me?
    hey, I for one would enjoy this kind of talk at parties. If I went to parties.

[sarcasm] Strong post #17 @mFriedman [/sarcasm]

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=JT10000;270464]I can't answer that question, in part because I can't stand that company. I got a catalog from them last year that had one (1) nonwhite person

I am sorry this offends you.