Thread: Spier and Mackay sales?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Spier and Mackay sales?

I'm in no particular hurry to buy but I'd like to get a new navy suit and, from what I've read here and other places, S&M will mostly likely be the way to go for me. Do they have any regularly scheduled sales throughout the year? I know they have a sale section with off-season stuff, but I'm thinking more of a sitewide sale that would also include "wardrobe staple" suits.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    From what I remember they don't run sales all that frequently. They'll have them around the major holidays like Black Friday and Boxing Day but since they're Canadian they may not have one around Labor Day like in the states. They did run a 20% off suits and sport coats toward the end of last summer but their inventory was limited and popular styles and sizes moved quick. You can sign up for their email list and they will notify you if anything comes up.

My unsolicited advice, if there's anything you really like, don't wait around for a sale. With the favorable exchange rate, their suits are very reasonably priced and well worth the value at full MSRP. I waited for a sale last year and my size in two styles sold out before one came around. When they released new sport coats earlier this year, I debated between two colors and within a week of release one of them was sold out in my size. Now that I finally have the sport coat I wanted I completely regret waiting so long. It was totally worth full price.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    498 Post(s)
    I agree w/ Geo. I don't wait around for a sale because sizes will run out and sales are infrequent. If you live in the US it'll already be ~25% off, which is better than most sales on tailored clothing at any store. Just grabbed a suit at full price (pre-sale) because I'm pretty sure it'll be sold out in my size in a few months.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)
    I somewhat disagree with the advice not to wait for a sale, unless there is a particular item that you have to have because it's so unusual or because you need it in a hurry. With a staple navy suit, I just don't think there's any risk that they'll sell out and not very soon offer an equally good replacement. So, you might as well wait for a sale - even if it sells out before the sale, you'll be able to get one in another sale down the line. Now, if you wanted the ocean blue suit that they introduced a year or so ago, that would be a different matter, as it's so much more unique. Mind you, I waited until the Black Friday sale to pick up the pants from that ocean blue suit and it still worked out fine for me. Picked them up for US$60.