Thread: Can't decide which bag to buy! Input needed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Can't decide which bag to buy! Input needed!

CANíT DECIDE!!

I need some help. Iím a recent college grad and Iíve decided itís time to trade in my briefcase for something a little more professional. I found a brand that makes really cool leather bags but Iím torn between two bags.

I couldnít pull the trigger when I was in the store last weekend so help me out! Anyone familiar with messenger bags/briefcases? The black one is their ďKent MessengerĒ and the brown one is called the ďHankĒ Both are the same prices.

Or if anyone owns one of these, let me know how it was. Both are spendy but the lifetime guarantee is reassuring, but I want to make sure I pick the right one!

Thanks Dappered fam!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Personal preference is brown. If you are hauling anything heavy, I would also want the stability and strength of 2 straps as opposed to one offset.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Where's the store? Am I the only one whose spammy senses are juuuuuuuuuust a little tingly? Or am I just a jaded a-hole?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Where's the store? Am I the only one whose spammy senses are juuuuuuuuuust a little tingly? Or am I just a jaded a-hole?
    I'm in Portland Oregon, They've got a few stores though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I can't say if this is spam, but I have a bag from Will Leather and love it. They make some nice stuff and I recommend them.

With that said, I prefer the Kent, but in brown. The hank looks more professional if you intend to show up in court or boardrooms with the bag, though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mFriedman View Post
    Personal preference is brown. If you are hauling anything heavy, I would also want the stability and strength of 2 straps as opposed to one offset.
    I can confirm that 2 handles is better than 1. I just replaced my old, single-handled bag with a new Filson Original Brief and the double-handles are much better. The single handled one would fall over all the time and i felt like the flap was just going to flip open from the weight all being askew to one side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    these seem to be in the Korchmar price range. I have been eyeing the Barton and the Garfield for a few months now. Just cant afford it yet.

https://www.korchmar.com/collections/all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post
    I can confirm that 2 handles is better than 1. I just replaced my old, single-handled bag with a new Filson Original Brief and the double-handles are much better. The single handled one would fall over all the time and i felt like the flap was just going to flip open from the weight all being askew to one side.
    That's a great point. Probably going to be the deciding factor.
    Headed back today to decide.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherLover1981 View Post
    That's a great point. Probably going to be the deciding factor.
    Headed back today to decide.
    How often are you actually carrying your bag by the handle like that? I use the shoulder strap 99% of the time. My bag has a single handle and I prefer it. Double handles are in the way more when moving things into/out of the bag. The flap opens up fully and gets out of the way.

Another factor to consider is the zipper. I specifically bought a bag with no zipper on the main compartment because I don't like metal zippers scratching up my laptop.

For context, this is the bag I bought: https://www.willleathergoods.com/pro...nt=36955310670

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get the messenger in brown if you will be using the shoulder strap. I use one for work and like stated above, use the shoulder strap 99% of the time.