85 Post(s)

Walmart is buying Bonobos?

Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Looks like they are trying to compete with Amazon, also bought Moosejaw https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/15/wa...or-51-million/

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Wow, this is really odd news. I wonder if quality will be effected.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Wow, this is really odd news. I wonder if quality will be effected.
    it will be gutted. walmart isn't exactly known for their eye for quality.

expect quality to be noticeably more bad at first.

then "Bobo's for Walmart" brand

then they just gut it and make their drapey disgusting store brand labels say "Bonobos" on them and not change anything.

It will be snuffed out even quicker than we think.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    it will be gutted. walmart isn't exactly known for their eye for quality.

expect quality to be noticeably more bad at first.

then "Bobo's for Walmart" brand

then they just gut it and make their drapey disgusting store brand labels say "Bonobos" on them and not change anything.

It will be snuffed out even quicker than we think.
    lol a glass half-full guy,are we? hahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Like a lot of commenters, I was disappointed to here this news. I've slowly been converting my wardrobe to bonobos (by taking advantage of their clearance sales) because of the quality and fit. I haven't found another brand that consistently fits me off the rack. The potential for that to change because of a giant like Wal Mart concerns me.

However, I think there is a point to be made here that hasn't been brought up in the thread. If you read about Bonobos strategy and company ethos, they are laser focused on customer experience. In fact, Andy Dunn is often quoted and included in discussions about customer centricity and I've heard him on a few podcasts discussing the topic at length. While certainly not at the same level as Amazon, they are often cited as a case study of 21st century brand development that's centered around delighting their customer at every interaction. Their entire structure from online merchandising to guideshops to product development to customer service to fulfillment and logistics is driven by their customer experience strategy. If an acquisition by Wal Mart threatened all of this than I wouldn't think the founders would allow a sale to happen. Stranger things have happened but I hold out hope that Bonobos, if bought, would remain true to their origins and operate independently. If they don't and become part of the wal mart machine and conduct business like their parent, I think they would lose their loyal customers. And, as many have pointed out, their offering doesn't fit into the wal mart demographic. So if they don't fit the wal mart demo and, through the acquisition, lose their own customers, I don't think anyone makes out on the deal. It's possible that I'm totally off and Andy Dunn+co are looking for an exit strategy but the way he evangelizes the brand and what they are doing makes me think this is not the case.

My 2 cents..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amg1016 View Post
    Like a lot of commenters, I was disappointed to here this news. I've slowly been converting my wardrobe to bonobos (by taking advantage of their clearance sales) because of the quality and fit. I haven't found another brand that consistently fits me off the rack. The potential for that to change because of a giant like Wal Mart concerns me.

However, I think there is a point to be made here that hasn't been brought up in the thread. If you read about Bonobos strategy and company ethos, they are laser focused on customer experience. In fact, Andy Dunn is often quoted and included in discussions about customer centricity and I've heard him on a few podcasts discussing the topic at length. While certainly not at the same level as Amazon, they are often cited as a case study of 21st century brand development that's centered around delighting their customer at every interaction. Their entire structure from online merchandising to guideshops to product development to customer service to fulfillment and logistics is driven by their customer experience strategy. If an acquisition by Wal Mart threatened all of this than I wouldn't think the founders would allow a sale to happen. Stranger things have happened but I hold out hope that Bonobos, if bought, would remain true to their origins and operate independently. If they don't and become part of the wal mart machine and conduct business like their parent, I think they would lose their loyal customers. And, as many have pointed out, their offering doesn't fit into the wal mart demographic. So if they don't fit the wal mart demo and, through the acquisition, lose their own customers, I don't think anyone makes out on the deal. It's possible that I'm totally off and Andy Dunn+co are looking for an exit strategy but the way he evangelizes the brand and what they are doing makes me think this is not the case.

My 2 cents..
    I think the issue that some people have here is that regardless of whether they operate independently of Wal-Mart, buying from Bonobos would directly contribute to WM's bottom line. Many people don't want their money going to WM. I personally fall into this camp, I avoid giving any of my money to WM when possible so the sale would mean I might have to re-access my clothing purchases as I've been adding more Bonobos items to my closet and been pushing friends and colleagues their direction.

The initial reaction is similar to how customers of ModCloth reacted when WM bought them out. If this acquisition goes through, it'll be interesting to watch what happens with both of these brands as going towards WM is/was seen as an unlikely partnership.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Great. Now in addition to people here writing about SuSu (a term that makes me want to barf - so contrived) we can have WaMa.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    Great. Now in addition to people here writing about SuSu (a term that makes me want to barf - so contrived) we can have WaMa.
    I completely agree on the Suit Supply nickname. I cringe upon reading it. On topic, ugh, I really like Bonobos, but I only buy stuff when it's on sale. Merging with Walmart might drop the price, but it will probably ruin the quality. I haven't bought anything from Walmart in years, never bought clothes there.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    Booooooo.
    Ben