Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart is buying Bonobos?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    I can't imagine that at all. The Bonobos guide shop experience is the opposite of the Walmart experience.

I can see reasons Walmart could want to own businesses like Bonobos. I can't see why they would try to put Bonobos locations inside Walmarts.
    Real estate, Walmart owns a lot of real estate.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    Walmart is trying to avoid becoming the next Kodak. They must keep up with technology, diversify their offerings and expand online. Their real competition over the next decade will be Amazon. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed the name of the parent company to some more neutral.

I’ve never shopped at Walmart (and never will), but I have dealt with them at the corporate level working in finance and law. The company has changed dramatically in the last ten years and improved both in sustainability and corporate responsibility. However, they are notoriously cheap at the corporate level. If you travel for Walmart on business you have to stay at a Holiday Inn (or similar). I wouldn’t want to work for them as their cost cutting is relentless.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    Real estate, Walmart owns a lot of real estate.
    Sure, but if you plop a Bonobos in a Walmart building, will anyone actually come? You wouldn't expect people to shop at a Tiffany's in the middle of a K-Mart.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    I wouldn’t want to work for them as their cost cutting is relentless.
    So exactly like Amazon.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    I don't shop at Bonobos but it seems Wal-Mart can offer a lot of cash for Bonobos to grow and expand. Retail isn't a great sector to be in and if founders can have a pay day then they should do it. Look at all the trouble J. Crew and The Gap (all brands) are having.

Hell most threads around here ask when X store is having a sale before they will purchase something. "When is the next SuitSupply sale? I need a staple navy suit." "When is Spier and Mackay's next sale? I need Y." Yea great sector to be in. . .

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Lol. I'm for that but I'm afraid Bonobos will have to increase there sizes to appeal to Walmart customers. A men small in Walmart is like a large for bonobos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    We are a product of conditioning: 1) we know sales are possible so why spend more money when you know you can get it at a discount later 2) in terms of J Crew it's a ratio of cost to quality; at current prices j crew clothes are not justifiable for what you get (lower quality materials even though "branded) but when on sale at 25/30/40% off then they fall within the proper ratio of cost to quality.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    If you travel for Walmart on business you have to stay at a Holiday Inn (or similar). I wouldn’t want to work for them as their cost cutting is relentless.
    FWP. I want to be you when I grow up. Holiday Inn is my go-to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Wal-Mart usually keeps on the CEO's of the companies it buys, so let's hope the quality doesn't go down the drain because I really like Bonobos.
    The most successful men’s fashion is conservative with just a hint of rebellion. - Rick Owens

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Walmart is buying Bonobos?

I doubt that Walmart potentially buying Bonobos will drive down the quality of the product. It's more like the diversification of revenue streams rather than expanding to a broader audience. Mergers and acquisitions don't necessarily make a positive or negative impact. Look at Daimler Chrysler. Those Chrysler/Dodge cars didn't get better, and Mercedes didn't go in the toilet. Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by udub86; April 17th, 2017 at 07:21 AM.