Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality Sock Brands

runbike29

Quality Sock Brands

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a good brand for socks that are both affordable and durable? Thanks for your help!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    what type of socks are you looking for?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    What style socks (solid, stripes, etc)? Do you want knee-high (over-the-calf) or crew?

For knee-high I took Joe's recommendation and ordered the Nordstrom wool blend socks. I've been pleased with them thus far. For crew I've had good luck with The Tie Bar and what I've found local at T.J. Maxx. YMMV.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    My favorite patterned socks are from J Crew or J Crew Factory (very similar quality), generally picked up on sale for ~$8/pair or occasionally less. They're comfortable and attractive and seem to all be holding up well.

My favorite full-cushion boot socks are from Darn Tough Vermont. These are amazing, but also super thick so only really work if you size up your shoes. They do have thinner socks that I have less experience with. These aren't cheap at about $20/pair, but they last forever and have a lifetime guarantee.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I do NOT like the Nordstrom merino wool ones since the stitching in the front is extremely uncomfortable. I recently got some Bresciani merino wool socks and they are great but expensive.

In all honesty, I mostly wear cotton ones from uniqlo. They are w ok made, last long, comfortable and in millions of colors. For $1-3 on sale, it is my go to. When I dress more formally, I wear some Pantherella socks but they are very thin/dressy and I don't foresee them lasting as long.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    I'm no sock expert, but I second the recommendation on thetiebar.com socks for price point and durability. I bought 8 pair about 2 years ago and rotate them accordingly and they have all stood up really well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Check out Sakkas Cotton Blend Ribbed Dress Socks. They're not a brand I'd ever heard of before, but I tried them via an Amazon link when looking for dress socks, and I find them comfortable to wear all day at work (and inexpensive, BTW). In the past, I've stood by Gold Toe socks, but they don't seem to last like they used to.

When it comes to casual socks, I'm 100% Ralph Lauren Polo. Costly, but worth it to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Bresciani for overall quality, especially their 100% linen socks if you can find them on sale (but damn they're expensive).

Express, of all places, has incredibly nice cotton socks in lots of colors/patterns for not much money. I'm wearing a pair right now that I've had for four years, and they look just as good as they did in year one.

Banana Republic for no shows.

For merino wool, it really depends how much you want to spend and how much you value 100% wool. Allen Edmonds does great merino wool socks, esp. on sale. Gilt has a million options that work just fine. Exquisite Trimmings often has high-end options (but they're pricey too -- see Bresciani).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I've personally found that both Express and The Tie Bar have nice socks but that they don't stay up well for some reason. Maybe because they're a bit taller? They're almost over the calf length for me but not quite, so maybe that's what causes them to fall. J Crew socks are a bit shorter and don't exhibit the same behavior.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I plan on stocking up on Suitsupply wool blend socks when they run their next outlet. I bought a bunch at the last one for about $3.50 a pair and they have help up very nicely. If I need dress socks now my go to is Nordstrom merino wool blend. If I want something with some color I like J Crew (on sale). For boot socks/hiking/casual I usually go with smart wool.