Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality Sock Brands

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    I wear Gold Toes and replace them every 6 months. I love the feel of new socks so I like to get new ones.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    For casual crew socks I'm not overly picky, and tried some Uniqlo socks that were about $3 a pair and there were ok. I usually just look for socks that are mostly cotton (or maybe with linen) for the warmer months, and maybe some wool for the cooler months.

But for dressier socks I'm pickier. I've tried Marcoliani, Brooks Brothers, Johnston & Murphy, Loding and Viccel, all in over-the-calf, ribbed (the only way to go...don't wear cheap, fuzzy poly blend socks with tailored clothing). I've decided that for price vs performance, Viccel is hard to beat. They are fairly inexpensive for their quality and the selection of solid colored socks is good.Note that they are 100% cotton, vs merino wool. Merino wool does wick away smelly sweat better, but cotton is almost as comfortable for me.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    I bought some Viccel socks a few years back (https://www.viccel.com/default.asp) and felt the quality was pretty good. At the time that I bough them, the price point was good too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Boot socks, Thorogood.
    Casual socks, Gold Toe.
    OTC dress socks wool, Brooks Brothers but their cotton isn't very good IMO and selection is small. Cotton or wool, Gold Toe but they definitely have a very limited color selection.
    Flashy fun socks, whatever I see I like. Steinmart has a ton of fun socks at middling quality.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    Boot socks, Thorogood.
    Casual socks, Gold Toe.
    OTC dress socks wool, Brooks Brothers but their cotton isn't very good IMO and selection is small. Cotton or wool, Gold Toe but they definitely have a very limited color selection.
    Flashy fun socks, whatever I see I like. Steinmart has a ton of fun socks at middling quality.
    How are your OTC wool socks and static cling with your pants? I have some OTC cotton socks and the static cling to my pants is horrible.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    How are your OTC wool socks and static cling with your pants? I have some OTC cotton socks and the static cling to my pants is horrible.
    ^ this is a problem. Most of my trousers have a decent taper but nothing close to tight (nothing less than 8 inch leg opening). In all trousers I can pull my pants (admittedly with some slight resistance for some pants) over my calves to put socks. Despite this, I get the clinging routinely with OTC socks. In my profession, I go from sitting to standing every 5-10 mins for hours at a time, so I end up with my trousers cuffs clinger to my socks. It is very uncomfortable.

It is worse with pants with texture (flannel) and least with the worsted wools. And I have two pairs that have minimal taper (8.75-9 inch wide), which are also more resistant to this. Interestingly, this has occasionally happened even when I wear scrubs (super baggy 100% cotton). My dressy Pantherella wool socks (very thin, almost see through) do this quite a bit.

I did recently get a pair of thicker wool socks from Bresciani that are more resistant. I also got a pair of linen Bresciani OTC but haven't worn them yet.

My present experience has made me steer away from OTC socks in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Darn tough Vermont is the best. I found out about them through their ski and hiking socks, but turns out they offer great solid options in several colors with no cushioning. Called the basic light crew model I think. I have four pairs of those and hardly wear anything else in the winter.

Cost isn't cheap, but lifetime warranty makes it worth it. Recently had a pair give out, sent it back, had a new pair the next week.

TMann
    I wear Orvis "Invincible" socks almost exclusively. They are are comfortable, come in a variety of colors and are SUPER durable.

http://www.orvis.com/p/mens-invincible-extra-socks/177b

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Pretty bad, I rub a dryer sheet on them before I put the pants on and it helps. Today's extremely lightweight wool fabrics on typical OTR don't drape nearly as well as heavier fabrics do. You could add a fabric softener in the wash and that helps with static. I havent done this yet to try it as I have allergy issues with scented products and most softeners are scented.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    I wear Orvis "Invincible" socks almost exclusively. They are are comfortable, come in a variety of colors and are SUPER durable.

http://www.orvis.com/p/mens-invincible-extra-socks/177b
    I think Darn Tough makes the Orvis Invincible socks. +1 for Darn Tough, but then I'm biased because I used to live in Northfield VT.