Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: I need a lifting program; can anyone help?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I just joined a crossfit gym.

God help me.
    lol just make sure to bring it up in every conversation ... it's got to be the first rule. I am intrigued to try since I like competition but their "form" or the general movements I've seen like kipping pull-ups give my joints a scare lol

If you wouldn't mind letting us know how it goes.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1478 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    lol just make sure to bring it up in every conversation ... it's got to be the first rule. I am intrigued to try since I like competition but their "form" or the general movements I've seen like kipping pull-ups give my joints a scare lol

If you wouldn't mind letting us know how it goes.
    Been going to my CF gym for about 6 weeks now, ~3 times per week, and I am loving it. I think it's one of those things where the experience depends entirely on the culture of your local gym. I really like mine, as it is very much a crunchy, granola, middle-age-lesbians-who-also-powerlift kind of scene. No one says shit like "box" or "WOD." I was concerned it would be the kind of place where form gets sacrificed for arbitrary numeric accomplishments, but if anything, the opposite has been the case. The instructors have had me scaling most workouts waaay back to accommodate good form, which has really forced me to swallow my pride on occasion (like overhead squatting less weight than most of the women at the gym because my shoulder mobility is so limited right now).

It's hard to tell if I've been getting stronger/faster/fitter/whatever since we do different workouts every day and haven't repeated anything yet. BUT I can definitely tell a huge difference in my body - my gut has almost disappeared and now there are lines and definition in my torso I've never seen before. Though that is probably 90% attributable to the fact that I committed to a big change in my diet around the same time I joined the CF gym. I've managed to virtually eliminate processed foods from my diet and am now getting about 50% of my daily food intake from veggies and fruits, about 25% healthy starches like sweet potatoes and whole grains, and 25% meat/eggs/dairy/oils/nuts/nut butters. I'm also cooking virtually everything from scratch except bread (long fermentation sourdough that I buy fresh from a local bakery).

It's also just plain fun to do stuff like rope climbs, tire flips, etc. And nice to do it in a supportive, communal, group-effort, high-fives kind of environment after doing solo lifting for a long time.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Revival...

As this relates to clothes. As most "fitness" (for lack of better term) people my body changes from week to week. Depends on diet, what program i'm using, effort, etc. The changes are sometimes noticed on the scale and sometimes just in the fit of clothes. How do you guys all handle this type of thing? Being on this site ya'll are fashion concious as well so I know I can't be alone here. Specifically how it pertains to buying clothes, the fit of said clothes, sizing, etc.
    Last edited by Jrbrownie00; October 12th, 2017 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Like you, I notice subtle changes in my body, not just on a weekly basis but sometimes on a daily basis. Also like you (I'm assuming), I prefer to wear clothes that are more of a tailored fit. I don't hesitate to buy them that way, in part because wearing clothes that fit me closely acts as an incentive to keep on track with my workouts, diet, etc.

Having said that, I try not to purchase items (especially shirts) that border on being truly tight, since I know I'll have days that that will make me feel uncomfortable--more in terms of self-confidence than in terms of physical comfort. To me, the most important thing about good clothing is the way I wear them, the way I feel in them; I try to never let the clothes wear me.

Do you wear business attire on a daily basis? I'm guessing you do, since these are the clothes I most notice fitting "differently" on a more frequent basis. Assuming you do, be sure you have a good tailor, one who can help you achieve a fitted look without edging you too close to your threshold, so to speak. Beyond that, keep an eye on your laundry/dry cleaning. Washing a garment in overly hot water, leaving it too long in the dryer, pressing it unmercifully can all lead to the level of shrinking that may not ruin the garment permanently, but can make a difference in how it fits you the next time you wear it.

Don't know if any of this will be helpful, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to learn more myself.