Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a lifting program; can anyone help?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Echo stronglifts 5x5. I've added almost 100 pounds to my squats and almost 50 pounds to my bench since starting it in late February. Back up in the 165-ish pound range, and body fat (thanks to CLA and cutting out bad stuff from my diet) has dropped about 7-8%.
    Do you feel the CLA really makes a difference?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post
    Do you feel the CLA really makes a difference?
    I'll apologize now for the mental image, but as we're all adults, if we can adopt a purely scientific viewpoint for just a moment.....my poop floats when I'm on it, and my waist typically drops an inch or so within a few weeks of being on it and changing nothing else. When I go off it, the floating is far less common/frequent, and my midsection gets considerably more jiggle to it.

Plus my bod-pod reading (body fat % calculation machine thing--pretty spiffy stuff) always reads far lower after 6-8 weeks of CLA, and then when I go off it (fall usually, to bulk) my reading goes back up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    http://www.primermagazine.com/2009/t...mation-program

I did this program when I first got back into going to the gym with great results. Its a great "primer" (pun intended) to getting into heavier lifting.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    this is what i use with some modifications:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...novice-workout

it says 3 times a week is ideal but i've cut back to twice a week due to a work related outside work studying requirement

an hour wouldn't be enough, even if you cut out the accessories. if you cut out squats and accessories it's enough time, but squats are the crux of the routine. if anything, you're better off using that hour to only do squats. I am in and out of the gym within 2 hours, 1 hour for squats and then 1 hour for everything else. i've put on noticeable muscle (was very scrawny before) but i'm not adding weights often enough to really bulk up. if you went 3 times a week and added weights at the suggested pace, you'll bulk up fast.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1441 Post(s)
    @Jrbrownie00 and @Scofield thanks for the those links. Most helpful and exactly the kind of stuff I am after/looking for.

@Scofield I suppose I could get a longer workout in of more than one hour, but I don't have two hours to dedicate. I think I could commit and hour and a half a most.

How much rest do you gents take between sets? And how do you determine your starting weight to lift?
    Last edited by DocDave; April 12th, 2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: my horrible typing skills

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    How much rest do you getns take between sets? And how do you determine your starting weight to lift?

1. Typically 30 seconds or so. I've heard arguments for more/less and they're reasonable; best method is to experiment (giggity?) and see what works best for you.

2. That's definitely a person-by-person basis. Start with just bare bars to make sure your form is correct; in fact your first day may be JUST the bare bar. No shame in that. Honestly for squats, assuming you're uninjured, an extra 25-pound plate on each side probably won't be too much. But basically start light and just work your way up to what feels right. You can even do a couple reps with a given weight and if you know it's "too light", stop, add some more, and keep going.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    I started off with StrongLifts (5x5) which has about all the information you could need for getting started. It tells you what equipment you need and everything.

However, StrongLifts is basically a rip-off (no pun intended) and slight modification of the well-known Starting Strength program by Mark Rippetoe. I have read both books (Basic Barbell Training and Practical Programming). I have also read/watched about every article that has come out in the last year on their website. It is very helpful! Starting Strength employs 3 sets of 5 reps rather than 5 sets of 5 reps.

I began doing StrongLifts but I have some advice. Read everything on the StrongLifts page, but DON'T start your weights super light as he recommends. I did this and spent months deadlifting/squatting/pressing very light weights. Mark Rippetoe has a method for starting off and it basically begins a little less than your max ability to do a set of 3 at a certain weight. Don't waste your time lifting way too light. Also, 5x5 really becomes unmanageable after a couple months. I can't even imagine squatting 5 sets of 5 at what I am doing now. 3x5 is much more manageable and allows you to recover better.

I am not near as strong as most people on the Starting Strength site, but I have gotten my squat up to about 330 at 3 sets of 5 and I had never lifted weights until a year ago. I can also bench a lot more than what I did before.

In case you are worried about gaining weight, you will! I have put on 50 lbs (mostly muscle, I hope), but it is absolutely necessary that you eat a lot in the program (Mark recommends drinking a gallon of milk per day if you are younger). I have definitely noticed the effect on my squats whether I have eaten and slept enough.

I workout 3x per week and workouts usually take about an hour and a half. I usually rest about 8-10 min between sets.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Eating enough, and enough of good quality, is definitely a big part of lifting. I'm on a cutting cycle right now (trying to see dem abs) and it's remarkable to me how much weaker I feel on my lifts. I'm literally shaking uncontrollably after my hardest lifts, like deadlifts. Not a pleasant feeling... hopefully I won't have to keep it up too much longer and can get into more of a maintenance routine.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @Jrbrownie00 and @Scofield thanks for the those links. Most helpful and exactly the kind of stuff I am after/looking for.

@Scofield I suppose I could get a longer workout in of more than one hour, but I don't have two hours to dedicate. I think I could commit and hour and a half a most.

How much rest do you gents take between sets? And how do you determine your starting weight to lift?
    an hour and 30 minutes will be enough if you cut out the accessories (anything that's not 5x5) and don't rest that long between sets. If you need to shower, I have no clue if that's enough time.

but it does all depend on how long you need to rest between sets. I think the program suggests 3-5 minutes rest for the main lifts and 1-2 min for the accessories. That's what I follow except for squats where I end up resting 6-8 minutes...they take a lot out of me.

you pick a weight by deciding what is the max that you can do and still get through the exercise. If you havent done any previous lifting I suggest starting with the bar (45 pounds) and adding 5 pounds each workout. If the bar is ridiculously easy for you, just start with a bit more. I would suggest focusing more on your form initially, 90% of people I see at the gym don't get below parallel on the squats and are missing out on the most important part of the exercise. you can squat more weight if you don't go down as low, but it's less effective for muscle growth.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Just curious on the rest amounts being tossed out. You're saying that, when you do squats as part of the 5x5, you'll be doing squats (and taking up a squat rack) for effectively 30+ minutes (up to 50 min, at 10 min rest)?! Also, what exactly are you doing during that 6-10 min? My mental need of being efficient, etc. would drive me to cut down on that time a ton.