Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a lifting program; can anyone help?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Ok. I have a very active cardio regime but absolutely NO weights. As I know many of you here hit the gym on a regular basis, I thought I 'd reach out and see if someone could give me a basic lifting program. Nothing killer, I don't need to look like Arnold. But I do want to tone and have some strength.

I'd like a program that I can do in the morning before work, that takes no more than one hour. Because of my other morning exercises, I only have two days a week to commit. Will that be enough? Or do I need to throw in a third day, likely after work?

Thank you.
    Most programs will prescribe three days a week. Like I mentioned in my other post, following the programming is the key to making progress. Starting Strength will take you less time in the morning that Stronglifts 5x5, btw.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1376 Post(s)
    Thanks for all of the tips and resources. I hope to get on this sooner rather than later. And yes, I'll have to get a third day in there somewhere. Looks like a cardio workout is gonna have to bite it to make the time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Thanks for all of the tips and resources. I hope to get on this sooner rather than later. And yes, I'll have to get a third day in there somewhere. Looks like a cardio workout is gonna have to bite it to make the time.
    Honestly, unless you're training for a cardio event, you'll be better off. Cardio makes you better at cardio while lifting makes you stronger and bigger, and improves your posture. Cardio still has its place, but you'll definitely see a benefit if you prioritize lifting (unless of course you're training for marathons or something similar).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    Stronglifts is good. I would also recommend taking a look at Rip's Starting Strength. An easy Google search will give you excel templates for either of these programs.

If you do any program, the key to making it work is to, surprise, stick with the programming. Unfortunately, most people alter the programming, or stick with their cardio heavy routines without altering/taking into account new caloric expenditures and the effects other activities have on the linear progression of these novice programs and then complain that they don't work, or that they're not getting stronger as prescribed.

The Starting Strength message board is a good place to start to learn what others with your same goals are doing under simple LP strength programs like these.
    Came here basically to say this. I did StrongLifts for about 4 months last year, until I had a falling out with my gym (poor/unsafe equipment upkeep, too crowded, etc...). Now I'm collecting the equipment for a small garage gym and will probably go with Starting Strength when I get back into it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    For a twice a week program, I liked Hatch for front and back squat. It can also be applied to presses and deadlifts as well. We did this at my Crossfit gym, although the coaches tried to program a regular metcon. This only gave us 25 minutes to do the full front/back squat sets, so I opted out of the metcon on those days.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I hate to paint with too broad a brush, but Crossfit is the worst. Olympic lifts for time is just asking for injury.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    I hate to paint with too broad a brush, but Crossfit is the worst.
    Truer words have never been written on this forum.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    I hate to paint with too broad a brush, but Crossfit is the worst. Olympic lifts for time is just asking for injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me27 View Post
    Truer words have never been written on this forum.
    As a non-Crossfitter with about a decade of barbell training under my belt, I think that Crossfit isn't necessarily a bad doctrine in and of itself. What ruins Crossfit are the trainers combined with the noobness of most of Xfit enthusiasts, themselves. I mean, Level 1 certs/the requirement to open a gym and be a certified Crossfit gym/trainer are a joke. And because most people who start Xfit see "spectacular" noob gains over the first few months to a year of Xfit means that they "convert" folks into disciples fairly easily.

Little does the average joe know that they could eclipse those "gains," both performance and aesthetics-wise, with proper programming, technique, and nutrition. But that takes research and a self-critical eye when it comes to examining yourself and your progress. Much easier to shell out $200+/month to some dude who tells you that kipping pull-ups are legit, high-rep oly lifts maximize work output (lulz), and high-rep box jumps for time are completely safe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    I agree on the Olympic lifts. I never do Randy (75 snatches for time) or the like. Frankly, my criticism of CF is that people should get to a certain level of strength by doing squat, deadlift, and press variations, then work on olympic lifts with incredibly light weight. I came from a distance running background and I didn't really progress until I started focusing on getting a lot stronger and dropping some of the longer metcons. As much as I love a good running WOD, doing a couple sets of strength and a 5-7 minute metcon as a finisher is my ideal day in the gym.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)
    Echo stronglifts 5x5. I've added almost 100 pounds to my squats and almost 50 pounds to my bench since starting it in late February. Back up in the 165-ish pound range, and body fat (thanks to CLA and cutting out bad stuff from my diet) has dropped about 7-8%.