Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like they're trying to bring back the banded-collar shirt...

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)

Looks like they're trying to bring back the banded-collar shirt...

Both Banana Republic and Bonobos (that I've seen) are introducing banded-collar shirts this year.

Maybe I'm just way off on this, but yeesh. I looked like a tool when I had a couple in high school in the 90's (the last time they had a go-round). Granted, it was high school, and everyone looked like a tool at some point. Still though.....really?

Terrible idea, at least by this lone fella's opinion....thoughts?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    To me they are okay if they lean super casual workwear-ish, and not hippie flower child-ish. They are really just a woven henley and would work okay if worn in basically the same circumstances. I don't like them worn in lieu of a dress shirt.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Sooooo.....A button down long sleeve t-shirt?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaWuttae View Post
    Sooooo.....A button down long sleeve t-shirt?

Pretty much, yep.

I can see limited casual use....but it just feels really weird to me to wear a button-down shirt that has effectively no collar per se. Always possible I'm way off but I just don't get it. Not that I'm saying those who make it work are schmuckatellis or anything. Y'all do y'all, and such.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    A linen one in the summer would be a good situation for a band collar, as warm weather, super casual alternative to a collared button-up. I don't mind them, and I have eve tried them on multiple times, but I just can't pull it off.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    As @alphaking says, a linen shirt often looks decent (and congruent from a style/function perspective). Similarly, I could also see doing a band collar for a popover or a SSBD (short-sleeve button down) for the summer/beach. I've seen them pulled off well, it just isn't my personal style...

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    Now I'm actually kind of wanting a natural colored or fisher/engineer striped, short-sleeved shirt or popover with banded collar for summer.

I don't love wearing collared shirts outside much in the summer because I feel like the collar would create a goofy tan line on my neck.
    Ben

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Now I'm actually kind of wanting a natural colored or fisher/engineer striped, short-sleeved shirt or popover with banded collar for summer.

I don't love wearing collared shirts outside much in the summer because I feel like the collar would create a goofy tan line on my neck.
    You can always carefully cut the collar off an old shirt you don't wear too often anymore. If you use nice, sharp scissor, it'll actually turn out quite nicely

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I have seen some rare examples where someone pulled this look off really well, but for the most part these shirts have way too much of a tuxedo t-shirt thing going on to me, its makes me think you're trying to dress up, but you still want to come off as casual, so you landed somewhere in the middle with an awkward compromise.
    Last edited by Me27; April 6th, 2017 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    This is the kind of look I'm imagining would be okay with this shirt style.

Ben