Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Crew Topcoat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

J Crew Topcoat

Anyone own or have experience with J Crew topcoats? Thinking of picking one up on sale for next winter (specifically grey peak lapel). I live in the upper midwest, so it will get a lot of use.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    I have one from 2 seasons ago. Grey herringbone, Abraham Moon fabric. I love it!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    How's the sizing? I'm a 42L (with slight tailoring on the sleeves).

Thinking of pulling the trigger on it.

Never had peak lapels on outerwear.

mistabutters
    I own the peak lapel camel one with thinsulate from last winter. Really love the coat. I usually buy J Crew 36S sport coats and need the sleeve shortened and sides pulled in. The 36S topcoat fits great. I can wear it over a suit, although I need a little help sliding into it when wearing a suit jacket. It also looks great sans suit. I didn't get the sleeves altered because the slight added length is fine for a coat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    I've owned a navy 42R Ludlow wool-cashmere for over a year. It isn't boxy like a lot of other topcoats in the same price range. I do struggle a little to put it on over a jacket, but it isn't too bad.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mistabutters View Post
    I own the peak lapel camel one with thinsulate from last winter. Really love the coat. I usually buy J Crew 36S sport coats and need the sleeve shortened and sides pulled in. The 36S topcoat fits great. I can wear it over a suit, although I need a little help sliding into it when wearing a suit jacket. It also looks great sans suit. I didn't get the sleeves altered because the slight added length is fine for a coat.
    I also wear 36S in JC's sportcoats and suits, but there's no way my 36S topcoat would fit over the jacket. In fact, mine fits just like a suit jacket.

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1502 Post(s)
    I own two Ludlow topcoats and the are awesome. Wore them all winter. No complaints.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bologna View Post
    How's the sizing? I'm a 42L (with slight tailoring on the sleeves).

Thinking of pulling the trigger on it.

Never had peak lapels on outerwear.
    Mine is 40r and fit is spot on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    I've got two topcoats (camel and burgundy) as well as two double breasted topcoats (French herringbone and oversize irish houndstooth). All of them are 44R and they fit like a 44R Crosby. If you are wearing them with a suit, definitely size up (46R in my case). The wool on the camel and burgundy coats is extremely soft and luxurious. Anecdotally, I have felt the black version in the store and it actually felt softer than the other colors.

I find that the thinsulate helps a bit with the wind, not so much for warmth. The big heat loss though is the deep neck line (as Joe noted in his review). You'll need to keep that covered with a scarf or something similar.

If you want to be warm, definitely check out the Nordic Parka in wool. Fantastic coat that is still somewhat clean and dressy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Definitely size up from your jacket size. I have a 40L Ludlow sport coat and two Ludlow topcoats. I got a 41R with thinsulate (in navy) and 42R without thinsulate (in camel). The thinsulate one isn't quite so slim fitting, so the smaller size works well. I've tried both the J. Crew Ludlow topcoat and the J. Crew Factory Thompson topcoat on in size 40 and it's too tight.

I'd probably be better off with 40R in the sport coat, but that's another matter. I'm 6'1, so I'm on the borderline between an R and an L, but my arms are relatively short for my height. Mind you, tailoring the arms of the 40L made it fit fine.