Thread: SuitSupply Hudson Fit Question

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

SuitSupply Hudson Fit Question

Hi Everyone,

SuitSupply's Hudson fit is pretty spot on for what I want in a blazer for a night out. The size 42 fits me near perfectly everywhere, except for the chest. If I button the jacket, the lapels bow a bit because the jackets chest is a bit smaller than my own. The good news is that this isn't an issue unbuttoned, and for a night out I'd mostly be wearing it unbuttoned anyways. But, being the silly nitpick that I am, I can't quite commit to suitsupply yet.

I'd size up to a 44, but then the fit elsewhere is a problem, especially in the shoulders. For a jacket with no shoulder pads, I'm especially particular on how the shoulders fit, because if they're too big for the wearer's shoulders it's just so obvious and doesn't look good in my opinion.

So I've got a couple questions.
    1) Do you know if a tailor would be able to let out the chest in a SuitSupply's Hudson fit?
    2) If not, do you have any recommendations for a similarly fitting/looking jacket with a slightly larger chest?
    3) SpierandMackay's contemporary fit jackets are high on my list, but I haven't had the chance to try one on yet. Their measurements listed on the website exactly match the measurements for SuitSupply's Hudson fit. Does anybody have a good idea of a fit comparison between suitsupply's Hudson and spier's contemporary fit?

Thank you

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    I have had a Havana let out just a tad. SS doesn't leave much extra material, so about an inch is all you will get. It may not be enough unless it is only slightly too big.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    The Hudson has shoulder pads, just so you're aware.

I've also heard of people having a jacket "let out" by just moving the buttons. I don't know how well that really works, though.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    I feel like you could buy 2 of the same Hudson in 42 and keep the better fitting one as you will have manufacturing differences. The shoulders are 0.4" different between the 42 and 44 which is hardly any on either side. The chest looks to be 1.5" total so you could let that out some and be fine. Dpark brings up an interesting idea with moving the button but I now realize this is what a menswear blogger I used to follow did and it looks like the button is holding on for dear life at times.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I have had a Hudson let out in the chest before with good results. I recently found a new tailor (from Italy, who actually does fully bespoke garments in his shop) who told me that letting a jacket out that high up leads to a bit of a hump and he avoids doing so. Sure enough once I got home, I checked two suits (one Havana) and there is a small hump at the point where the center seam was let out in the chest area. Having said that, this is pretty minimal and I am ok with it.

I have moved the buttons slightly before in another jacket when I needed 0.5 inch to take the waist in. It worked real well. Not sure how that would look in the opposite direction though.

I would recommend if possible to get some photos of you wearing the 42 and the 44 and putting them online for people to see to give you better feedback.

In short, it is possible to let the chest out in a Hudson.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I wont shy away from the Hudson then the next time I find a good deal on one. I'll take it into my tailor and see what she says about the chest.

I'll also do my research on that hump issue you raised Doomx. Thanks for pointing that out, hadn't heard of that before.

And I'll post a pic when I finally get my hands on one! In the meantime, can any of you comment on my 3rd question?

3) SpierandMackay's contemporary fit jackets are high on my list, but I haven't had the chance to try one on yet. Their measurements listed on the website exactly match the measurements for SuitSupply's Hudson fit. Does anybody have a good idea of a fit comparison between suitsupply's Hudson and spier's contemporary fit?

I've been keeping tabs on their site and will order a suit/sportcoat soon. I'd love to hear your guys thoughts on how SpierandMackay's contemporary fit compares with the Hudson if you have any experience with the two.

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I have both in the same size. The Hudson was a bit more snug (actually had to let it out in the chest and waist). The length is pretty similar. The sleeve of the Hudson are a bit narrower. Shoulders are the same. Both are size 44 for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Good to know!

If Spier's fit is the same in the shoulders, and a tad roomier in the chest, then Spier would be my preferred pick. I have no problem getting anything else tailored.

Could the Spier be let out in the chest as well in case that's still a little snug?

Thank you doomx

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    @kts1230 Usually you can't let out the actual chest of a suit but there may be a little bit of fabric to let out the back. Here's the answer I got from S&M a few months ago regarding extra fabric for letting out a jacket.

We generally leave 1" in the back and 3/8" on each side, for a total of 1 3/4"

Hope this helps.