Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JCrew Alden 405's --need motivation.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

JCrew Alden 405's --need motivation.

I posted a topic about this 6 months ago but I never moved forward with buying the shoes. I have been wanting a pair of Alden shoes for a very long time. As much as I love longwings I just can't get another similar looking pair. (I mean, I want to, but I have way too many, including a NOS in a box) I should probably just stop buying any dress bluchers/oxford shoes altogether for the rest of the year. I will see how that works out for me.

But I digress. JCrew Alden 405's .....Point is, I had a JCrew gift card from last Year that would pay for nearly 1/2 of the shoes and now I just got another one, which means I can get the shoes for 100 dollars. Ironically, I just seem to be having a problem spending 500 in casual shoes even if most of it is gift cards. Dress shoes I would not even blink and get them......... Don't know why, but with casual shoes it just seems wrong....Right now,my "casual" shoe arsenal consists of Clarks desert boots/2 pairs of Clarks suede bluchers w crepe soles/AE Maritime Boat shoes/and a pair of unlined mustard colored US "new old stock" apron toe Florsheims. All those are the shoes I wear with Chinos or Jeans on Casual Friday at the office or for weekend merriment.

I need some motivation to go for the 405's ....are they worth it? I do really like them, but the JCrew knockoffs look very similar. How do the Alden's wear? I keep on hearing people talk about going thru multiple pairs. I have seen some pairs look like hell . Is this because they are using the shoes for their intended purpose or because they wear fast? Just need a little motivation from current owners that these shoes are worth it, I guess.

Thanks
    You can never have enough shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

Alden 405 30% off

Quote Originally Posted by MNJ83 View Post
    I posted a topic about this 6 months ago but I never moved forward with buying the shoes. I have been wanting a pair of Alden shoes for a very long time. As much as I love longwings I just can't get another similar looking pair. (I mean, I want to, but I have way too many, including a NOS in a box) I should probably just stop buying any dress bluchers/oxford shoes altogether for the rest of the year. I will see how that works out for me.

But I digress. JCrew Alden 405's .....Point is, I had a JCrew gift card from last Year that would pay for nearly 1/2 of the shoes and now I just got another one, which means I can get the shoes for 100 dollars. Ironically, I just seem to be having a problem spending 500 in casual shoes even if most of it is gift cards. Dress shoes I would not even blink and get them......... Don't know why, but with casual shoes it just seems wrong....Right now,my "casual" shoe arsenal consists of Clarks desert boots/2 pairs of Clarks suede bluchers w crepe soles/AE Maritime Boat shoes/and a pair of unlined mustard colored US "new old stock" apron toe Florsheims. All those are the shoes I wear with Chinos or Jeans on Casual Friday at the office or for weekend merriment.

I need some motivation to go for the 405's ....are they worth it? I do really like them, but the JCrew knockoffs look very similar. How do the Alden's wear? I keep on hearing people talk about going thru multiple pairs. I have seen some pairs look like hell . Is this because they are using the shoes for their intended purpose or because they wear fast? Just need a little motivation from current owners that these shoes are worth it, I guess.

Thanks
    jcrew.com right now have the 30% off coupon happyspring that take 30% off Alden; this is the first time they have the 30% off coupon that work in the daytime and not the coupon glitch that only works from 9pm PST to midnight PST.

That 30% off coupon is the motivation you need. I have the 403 and they're the most comfortable boots I own of of the box. I don't think the soles wear out fast unless you drag your feet when you're walking. Alden is not worth it at retail, but with jcrew's 30% coupon that rarely works on Alden or 3rd party, I say hell yes for the Alden 405. The coupon could expires anytime with jcrew.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...Nrpp=60&Nsrt=0
    Last edited by jackbauer24; March 25th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    I have a pair and they are one of my favorite pairs of boots, super comfortable. You shouldn't worry about keeping them in pristine condition, they look better beaten up. Obviously if you put them through hell and wear them every single day then they're not gonna last for more than a few years, but that's true of any pair of shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I own Alden Indy boots and love them. My team at work knew I wanted them so bad - they chipped and bought me a gift card for half and I paid the other half.

I find they wear well and are extremely comfortable. It took only a couple wears to break them in a bit and for me to adjust to the feeling of a higher boot. I usually wear Allen Edmonds Strands, sneakers or Vans at the internet co where I work.

I very much like mine and they are fun to have other Alen head guys notice when you wear them.

I don't keep mine pristine. The tip of the toe gets a little dirty and the stitching doesn't stay totally white. I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. Caveat: they take more time to throw on and lace up but maybe that's just me being unskilled.

Take advantage of the promo code if it's still going!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Well I guess it's a mute point. No longer available in my size. I'll have to get them elsewhere if I want them. Thanks for the replies

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    I have a pair. Love them. They will restock in your size. Just get a pair when they do. You are unlikely to regret it...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Well I guess it's a mute point. No longer available in my size. I'll have to get them elsewhere if I want them. Thanks for the replies
    I would recommend getting the size like 10 since they are on backorder, they won't charge you until they're ship. Once they ship, wait till they have your size in stock and do a even exchange.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, I read on Styleforum's Alden thread some guys lamenting getting the Chromexcel 403 (which is what JCrew's 405 is closer to) over the waxed leather 405 because they found the leather was stretching too much. I just got a pair of the regular 405's last month with a nice coupon and absolutely love them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    J Crew finally restocked in my size . With the gift cards I had and adding overnight delivery I paid little over 100. Hopefully will be here in time for casual Friday.

What kind of trees are are you guys using on these? Just regular kind?

Thanks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    J Crew finally restocked in my size . With the gift cards I had and adding overnight delivery I paid little over 100. Hopefully will be here in time for casual Friday.

What kind of trees are are you guys using on these? Just regular kind?

Thanks
    Alden doesn't make lasted trees, I just use an Alden tree but any tree will work.