Thread: Suitsupply Problems

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Suitsupply Problems

Hi All,

I love Suitsupply's take on men's suits and menswear in general. I recently scored a Napoli from their last outlet sale, and the only real problem I have is with the thigh area in their slacks. I was told from a sales associate at the store that all their slacks fit the same, regardless of suit fit (Napoli, Copenhagen, Washington, and so on). The first suit I purchased was online, and I had a local tailor let out the thighs and I had no real problem. Sure it's a slimmer fit than normal, but doable for me. Is it 100% comfortable, however? No. The reason I say that is because I have found slacks which are "slim" in my size yet still give me the room I need in the thigh area.

Very recently, I purchase another SS suit in store - and decided to have the alterations done in-house by SS, just because I would trust SS tailors on SS suits. Well I asked for the thighs to be let out - and it was kind of an ordeal. They ended up doing it for me, but the tailor stated that they aren't supposed to let out the thighs. Seems like one of those things where they don't want to compromise the integrity of the "look" of SS suits or how they are supposed to look and be worn. One of those things where it can certainly be done but they won't do it on their own accord. Well upon receiving the pants, the thighs were still too snug. I didn't think too much of it as I just decided to take it to my local tailor and have her adjust the slacks. Well after doing that, the pants still are too snug with no more room to be let out. My real concern here is, tailoring costs can get pricey and all for nothing when you pay for something, and it doesn't come out right. Now I'm out the garment and the costs - a double loss currently. I'm trying to be better about my purchases and tailoring and such because I've been burned a few times in the past, but not like this.

My questions are:

1. I'm going to attempt to take back the suit. Yes I'm on file that I had alterations made on the suit from the SS store in Dallas where I purchased it from, but I know SS has a pillar of customer service which they rest upon. I would be open to anything they could offer me - in-store credit, exchange, or refund. Not going to be picky there, and I have nothing to lose for trying. Does anyone have any commentary or suggestions on this? My leverage is that I want to continue to be a happy customer and I really do love Suitsupply.

2. Does anyone else have problems with the fit of the pants like I do? Any suggestions on how to deal with that or perhaps other brands of suits which are comparable in style, price, and quality of Suitsupply?

Looking forward to feedback!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blan2819 View Post
    Well I asked for the thighs to be let out - and it was kind of an ordeal. They ended up doing it for me, but the tailor stated that they aren't supposed to let out the thighs. Seems like one of those things where they don't want to compromise the integrity of the "look" of SS suits or how they are supposed to look and be worn.
    Did they say this explicitly or are you assuming this? I would imagine that the reason they didn't want to let out the thighs is because there wasn't enough material to let them out very far.

I'm going to attempt to take back the suit.
    No advice, but good luck. They might give you something in a show of good faith, but might not, since you not only had it altered, but had it altered in a way they advised against.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    390 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I love Suitsupply's take on men's suits and menswear in general. I recently scored a Napoli from their last outlet sale, and the only real problem I have is with the thigh area in their slacks. I was told from a sales associate at the store that all their slacks fit the same, regardless of suit fit (Napoli, Copenhagen, Washington, and so on). The first suit I purchased was online, and I had a local tailor let out the thighs and I had no real problem. Sure it's a slimmer fit than normal, but doable for me. Is it 100% comfortable, however? No. The reason I say that is because I have found slacks which are "slim" in my size yet still give me the room I need in the thigh area.

Very recently, I purchase another SS suit in store - and decided to have the alterations done in-house by SS, just because I would trust SS tailors on SS suits. Well I asked for the thighs to be let out - and it was kind of an ordeal. They ended up doing it for me, but the tailor stated that they aren't supposed to let out the thighs. Seems like one of those things where they don't want to compromise the integrity of the "look" of SS suits or how they are supposed to look and be worn. One of those things where it can certainly be done but they won't do it on their own accord. Well upon receiving the pants, the thighs were still too snug. I didn't think too much of it as I just decided to take it to my local tailor and have her adjust the slacks. Well after doing that, the pants still are too snug with no more room to be let out. My real concern here is, tailoring costs can get pricey and all for nothing when you pay for something, and it doesn't come out right. Now I'm out the garment and the costs - a double loss currently. I'm trying to be better about my purchases and tailoring and such because I've been burned a few times in the past, but not like this.

My questions are:

1. I'm going to attempt to take back the suit. Yes I'm on file that I had alterations made on the suit from the SS store in Dallas where I purchased it from, but I know SS has a pillar of customer service which they rest upon. I would be open to anything they could offer me - in-store credit, exchange, or refund. Not going to be picky there, and I have nothing to lose for trying. Does anyone have any commentary or suggestions on this? My leverage is that I want to continue to be a happy customer and I really do love Suitsupply.

2. Does anyone else have problems with the fit of the pants like I do? Any suggestions on how to deal with that or perhaps other brands of suits which are comparable in style, price, and quality of Suitsupply?

Looking forward to feedback!
    My advice is to be nice, friendly, and pray for a bit of luck. Since you've had the suit altered twice now, they don't have any obligation to do you any favors, so all you can really do is just hope that you get a friendly person

SS is notorious for their slim fitting pants. Try Spier & Mackay's contemporary fit, it's roomier.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    533 Post(s)
    Maybe ask for an exchange for a larger pair, and have the waist taken in? Maybe try on the larger pair (larger waist measurement, just so there's no confusion as to what i mean) in-store and see how they feel in the thigh, then have the waist brought in?

I would think that if you start with a larger waist measurement, the thighs would be more proportional to that and offer more room?

I'm not a tailor so I don't know though, to be honest.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    I had my tailor let out the thighs and seat in 3 of my Napoli suits. He mentioned that SS is very nice but they don't leave a lot of fabric there to even let out.

While I like my suits the thighs even when let out are a little tight (aka wallet or cell can be a bit of a nuisance).

Personally I'd chalk it up as a learning experience. I don't believe the company should give an exchange. This is a case of a suit not working for your body shape. I'd say go S&M contemporary fit. They are comparable in my mind in quality, price is much better and the contemporary fit actually has room for us larger leg guys. That's what I've done. Shame as I like SS but they just don't fit me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I would think that after you've have the suit tailored their return policy no longer applies, but as you said, they pride themselves on great customer service, so I think it is definitely worth taking it to them and asking what they can do.

Are the thighs objectively too tight (as in you are about to bust through the seems) or are they just more snug than is your personal preference. If it is the former, I think you could make the argument that you were sized and had alterations done based on the advice of SuSu employees, and they sent you home with a suit that you now realize is unwearable. If its the later and the suit technically fits, just not really in the way that you wanted it to, they can claim that the suit fits in the way that it is intended to fit, and you tried it on and signed off on it after the alterations, if you don't like that style now you should not have bought the suit.

The reason the tailor at SuSu might not have wanted to let the pants out more is because as you get closer to the edge of the fabric the structural integrity of the garment begins to lessen and there comes a point where they could physically let it out more, but the pants will not hold up well if pressure is applied to the seem. Your personal tailor may be more willing to take a chance here because if Susu does the alteration and you bust through the seam the first time you wear them you can blame it on them and have good reason to demand a new suit, but with your local tailor if you bust through the seam the first time you wear it....all he did was the alteration you asked for....so he is not responsible for getting you a new suit and you should probably go complain to the manufacturer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    In general letting the thighs out is not a great strategy. Sure you can do so, but there is typically not a lot of fabric left in this area. Also I find that letting out the seat can be hit or miss mostly because you cannot change the back rise which would be often required to allow for more room in this section. I have come to realize that for trousers sizing up and adjusting down (with a good tailor) is far easier/cheaper/successful

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    And herein is the problem with SuSu. Them not allowing you to get separates in their suits, except for 1-2 models.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Yes, you all raise great points - and 2 of you have suggested Spier & Mackay so may be in my best interest to check them out. As an update, I've called suitsupply, and the manager from the store is going to give me a call back as I explained my situation. Sizing up in the pants would be a good option, but I also know that there's only so much which can be done in the waist & seat area. What i would also hate, is to have the thighs fit, but the seat/waist area not fit well after alterations.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    And herein is the problem with SuSu. Them not allowing you to get separates in their suits, except for 1-2 models.
    This. Great quality for the price, and great options for fabrics, but I actually tore the pants in the one suit I bought because they were so tight (thankfully a linen suit, so the jacket works great as a sportcoat). And while I have a decent size butt, it isn't outside of normal size and otherwise I'm a relatively normal proportioned guy. They'd open up their doors to a lot of other guys by allowing separates on more items.