Thread: "Athletic" fit shorts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)

"Athletic" fit shorts?

So we've covered pants/jeans pretty extensively, but how about shorts? True, they are more forgiving to members of team Thunder Thighs, but what about those of us with some junk in the trunk? It seems that on average most men have little to no butt. Most shorts are designed with that in mind. Outside of gym/basketball shorts, have you guys found any brands that offer more room in the seat of their shorts? The whiskers and pulled pockets and bunched up waist bands of my shorts from last year are haunting me as the weather begins to warm up.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Honestly I've had good luck with Old Navy and JCF. Squats every other day (i follow the 5x5 routine).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Bonobos? I find their shorts have a bit more room in the seat and it helps with the pocket flare.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)
    Be proud and show off that badonk.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I think mainly the key would be to find shorts with a relaxed fit. Probably something more conservatively styled.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I think mainly the key would be to find shorts with a relaxed fit. Probably something more conservatively styled.
    This would seem intuitive but in my experience as a thick-thighed fellow, it is actually the worst thing you can do. Relaxed fit and conservative styling = shorts that are long and baggy... if you have a muscular butt and legs, this is going to translate further to shorts that look SUPER baggy at the hem, because this style of shorts will have no taper whatsoever in terms of the material from your large butt/upper legs down to your knees, which are going to be much skinnier. This combo of factors is going to look super dumpy and unflattering on most muscular guys, particularly anyone who's on the short-to-average side of the height spectrum. I drew this super fancy MS Paint image to illustrate the problem a couple years back:

If you have muscular legs, you're generally going to want to go a bit shorter in your shorts length - around mid-thigh for the hem, maybe a little lower if you want to be really modest. Any longer short that has the room to accommodate your butt, hips, and thighs is either going to constrict you weirdly if it has much taper to it, or is going to look comically baggy at the knees if it does not taper. You can pooh-pooh the brand and its marketing imagery if you like, but I think there's a good reason that Chubbies and similar brands are pretty popular among, and tend to look the best on, squat bruhs.
    Ben

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Just signing on to @LesserBlackDog 's post. It took a little getting used to, but Chubbies and other shorter (for my 6'3 height, meaning 7" inseam or shorter) shorts tend to fit me better both in style and in range of motion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    325 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    So we've covered pants/jeans pretty extensively, but how about shorts? True, they are more forgiving to members of team Thunder Thighs, but what about those of us with some junk in the trunk? It seems that on average most men have little to no butt. Most shorts are designed with that in mind. Outside of gym/basketball shorts, have you guys found any brands that offer more room in the seat of their shorts? The whiskers and pulled pockets and bunched up waist bands of my shorts from last year are haunting me as the weather begins to warm up.
    Old Navy/Merona. Stay away from short shorts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    I tend to size down in shorts to avoid the loose-y look at the knees. The key is to find stretchy fabric.
    Personally, I go for Hurley's Walkshorts line that has 2-8% Spandex (depending on which shorts).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    JCF and, surprisingly, American Eagle's slim cut 7" shorts.