Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Items you splurge on / your clothes spending habits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Items you splurge on / your clothes spending habits

The post on iconic alternatives got me thinking about this. I had clicked that and found myself looking at the Sunspel Riviera Polo. It's a $120 polo, but it looks great. But... it's $120. That site was talking about alternatives to the shirt with some being as cheap as $15.
    If I wear to look at graph of 'buy a lot of cheaper clothes' vs 'fewer more expensive clothes', I'd definitely veer towards the fewer/expensive side. Now most of my clothes are from Bonobos; I wouldn't call them expensive, but they aren't cheap either. When I go outside of that comfort zone, I tend to go for the more expensive things that fit better and hopefully would last longer. For example on that Sunspel polo, I found myself trying to rationalize buying it with the thought being it'd last a lot longer than other polos, and it'd look a lot better too. I've noticed a lot of people talking about Old Navy and JCF as good options, but personally I've found those to not be worth the money even at their price points. I feel like they are messed up after even a couple of washes. Even my Bonobos polos that I paid $65 for probably won't last that long. No idea if I'll buy that polo, but honestly next time I do need to buy one, I might take the plunge and get that.
    With this approach I definitely don't buy a lot of clothes as I prefer spending the same money on clothes that (should) last longer. I guess if I had $500 to spend, I rather come away with like 4 items that will look great versus 12 that will ok and be donated in a year or two.
    What are your habits?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    In general, I don't "invest" in clothes. Styles, fits, and needs change semi-frequently for me to consider purchasing at high costs. That's why I like this site/forums seeing a variety of methods to ensure a well put together look without going broke. I tend to ensure I wait for good value in terms of sales on items. Some items, I just cannot fathom paying a lot of money for (to each their own) out of my own cost benefit thoughts: shoes, polo shirts like above I couldn't justify, accessories like belts/ties, etc.

For me,
    High priced items: suits, outer wear, watches, sunglasses
    Medium priced items: trousers, dress shirts, shoes
    Medium/low priced items: sweaters, casual wear, jeans
    Low priced items: belts, ties, socks, under clothing

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I prefer to splurge on items like shoes, watches, or jackets because those are things that can last a really really long time if you maintain them properly. From my experience things like t-shirts and polo's wear out regardless of how much I spend. Yes higher quality ones last longer, but inevitably they stretch out, get holes, get stains, get lost, ext. At the end of the day though paying more money can get you higher quality items, but there are seriously diminishing returns. I think at some point you have to face that fact that beyond certain price ranges you can't really rationalize certain items in a lifespan to price ratio type of way, but if you really like them and enjoy owning them they can still be worth buying (to you). I own 8 watches and 9 pairs of dress shoes, there is absolutely no cost per wear analysis or financial justification for owning that many of these items. However, I really like owning them and really enjoy having the options and variety so to me they are all well worth the price I paid.
    Last edited by Me27; March 27th, 2017 at 02:32 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Dress shoes like ae and boots like redwing, wolverines, Truman, and viberg.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1063 Post(s)
    I spend more on work clothing and less on my casual clothing. When I love what I am wearing to work, I feel I do a better job. If I am wearing an older dress shirt that is a little boxy, I feel like crap. Does my work suffer? I have no idea but when I feel better I feel like I produce better work.

Spending more though has allowed me to decrease the quantity I buy because I want to wear my quality items more often.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I'm only willing to splurge significantly for items that could have longevity. The boots I'm wearing cost 10 times as much as the jeans I'm wearing with them. The jeans are a bit over a year old and I'll be surprised if they last more than another year before wearing through somewhere. The boots are about a year old as well, but should last me a decade or more and can be resoled. My favorite jacket is leather and cost several hundred dollars, but should also last me for a decade pretty easily if I don't get fat. Most of my stuff is much cheaper (e.g. I aim for ~$35 per shirt), because realistically most items of clothing are not going to last me a decade. They'll stain, or fade, or get torn.

I'm willing to pay a bit more for fit as well. I'll probably buy a pair of dark denim from Bonobos soonish (to replace the ones I'm wearing) because the fit is really good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    i dont splurge on any items, but i over buy specific items. for example, shoes. i have tons of them. I still want more.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Just curious if any of our older or more established members have shoes over 10 years? I hear this argument a lot when people recommend AES etc but to me shoes are a disposable type good. They take almost more wear and tear than any other in our wardrobe. I know you can recraft and all but 10 years is a lot of abuse on shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Just curious if any of our older or more established members have shoes over 10 years? I hear this argument a lot when people recommend AES etc but to me shoes are a disposable type good. They take almost more wear and tear than any other in our wardrobe. I know you can recraft and all but 10 years is a lot of abuse on shoes.
    My first pair of AEs were hand me downs from my father. They were over 20 years old and probably older than me. He had them resoled dozens of times, polished them frequently and kept shoe trees in them. They still looked great when he gave them to me. So yeah, quality shoes can last a really long time if properly cared for.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Casual clothing and shoes I'm cheap as long as it fits well. Old navy, target, lands end. ON stuff lasts as long as I care for it to. Do I want a t-shirt that lasts 10 years? Not really. As long as it looks good, I'd rather pay 20% of the price and have it last 4 years.

There are staples I'd pay more for. I assume my AE Park aves will last the rest of my life with how little I wear them. Same with a good charcoal suit. I have a couple other AEs that i think are worth the money. However I wear my cheaper dress shoes more often, particularly in winter in New england - not wearing my AEs through salt and slush. My $40 brown bostonian bike toes get worn way more than any other shoe I own.

I'd pay more for better fit to a point. I bought BR travelers, although I ended up returning them because I didn't like the fit, I'd be fine paying 80 to 100 for denim that gets worn often that looks better.

I also thrift, which has ruined my outlook a bit. Once you pick up a few nice items for $5 it makes it real hard to pay 50. And I always feel like if I hold out longer I'll eventually thrift that item I've been wanting....