Thread: Chili AE McAllister for Grad Student

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

Chili AE McAllister for Grad Student

I am looking for a pair of AE shoes that I can wear with various outfits. I am leaning towards the McAllisters in Chili. I plan on wearing them with a suit occasionally, but I'd also like to wear them with jeans too. Would you recommend this color over a lighter color like Walnut? I like the Walnut color a lot but it seems a little less versatile. Also, I am a student so I plan on getting the shoe/belt/shoe tree combo for $350.

Could the Chili McAllister work in place of the Merlot McAllister in this article (since AE doesn't seem to be selling Merlot anymore in the McAllister)?

https://dappered.com/2016/08/how-to-...ingtip-oxford/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    Dark chili is my favorite color from AE. I have shoes in Merlot and walnut but find chili more versatile.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)
    Agreed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    I have merlot Mcallisters and Chili (long wing) Mcgregors. The merlot shoes are a little more unusual, but I find them to be very versatile. I think they look nicer with charcoal grey than dark chili. However, if you wear a lot of brown pants, then chili is probably going to be more versatile. I tend to wear nicer (wool) grey pants and more casual cotton brown pants. That's why I went with a less formal dark chili blucher and a more formal merlot balmoral.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I think the dark Chili McAllisters is a great option to wear with many different colored suits, wool trousers, cotton dress pants, ect. Color wise i think they will work fine with Jeans, but in general I am not a big fan of oxfords with jeans. If you are just starting to build your shoe collection I think it is a good start, however if you will be wearing them with jeans more often than suits/dress trousers you might consider a pair of derby style shoes instead.