Thread: AE Standords - glossy leather?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

AE Standords - glossy leather?

Hi,

I just picked up my 1st pair of derbys from eBay - AE Stanfords in burgundy. I noticed they're quite shiny compared to my other AEs. Not just polished, but the leather is different than the others. The only listing I could find on the AE site is a factory second. In the description it states "Lined premium leather upper" is the material. The other shoes I have indicate they are made of "Lined premium calfskin leather upper".

What is the deal with the premium upper leather? It's a strange mix of formal (shiny) and casual (derby brogues). I'm confused on how to pair this shoe. As always thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)
    Sounds like cordovan leather. It tends to get wavy rather than wrinkle, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
    Sounds like cordovan leather. It tends to get wavy rather than wrinkle, right?
    It has wrinkles. It's like the shoes that come with $120 tuxedo rentals. I thought it may have been cordovan, but i don't know what that looks like.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I think they're calfskin, just highly polished.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25215502@N02/3327921686/

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    Did you mean the Sanfords? You put "Standords" and Stanfords" but I couldnt find anything under those. They are possible bonded leather. Do the creases look almost like the leather is cracking? Do they take conditioner or shoe cream easily or is it like wiping it on plastic and doesnt seem to penetrate the leather?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Did you mean the Sanfords? You put "Standords" and Stanfords" but I couldnt find anything under those. They are possible bonded leather. Do the creases look almost like the leather is cracking? Do they take conditioner or shoe cream easily or is it like wiping it on plastic and doesnt seem to penetrate the leather?
    Sorry it's Sanford. From what I'm finding it's Polished Cobbler/Corrected Grain. If you've seen tuxedo shoes, that's the vibe of this shoe. I don't see how polish would penetrate. It's like a patent finish.

Now how to wear them... Nothing pops out as a good fit. Oh well. Thanks for the help guys.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pborkstrom View Post
    Sorry it's Sanford. From what I'm finding it's Polished Cobbler/Corrected Grain. If you've seen tuxedo shoes, that's the vibe of this shoe. I don't see how polish would penetrate. It's like a patent finish.

Now how to wear them... Nothing pops out as a good fit. Oh well. Thanks for the help guys.

I actually muted a pair of my shoes that were corrected grain leather with acetone, that you might try giving a try if the shine bothers you. Took some pics here if you care to take a look. Cheers.
    https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...urphy-Cap-Toes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)
    I owned a pair of black Sanfords and they were just typical calfskin. Perhaps they made them in different leathers over the years? Good luck with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I actually muted a pair of my shoes that were corrected grain leather with acetone, that you might try giving a try if the shine bothers you. Took some pics here if you care to take a look. Cheers.
    https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...urphy-Cap-Toes
    Those turned out great. It's hard to tell with flash photography, but did all the shine get removed? I can't tell if it's still there.

Do you think a ton of broguing would make the job much more difficult?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pborkstrom View Post
    Those turned out great. It's hard to tell with flash photography, but did all the shine get removed? I can't tell if it's still there.

Do you think a ton of broguing would make the job much more difficult?

Thank you. Yes, it took pretty much all of the shine off, but the corrected leather is still corrected leather, so not nearly as nice as full grain etc. Took that prom shoe look away, so that was good enough for me. I dont think it would really be that hard with more brogue. If you use a tooth brush or something to that effect, it should work pretty easily,just wipe off as you go. It comes off almost like a stain.