Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Wingtip Choice for Business Casual

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    i think it also kinda depends on your build. If you are super slim and wear trim trousers, double soled longwings might be a bit unbalanced. Conversely, if you are athletic and broad, slim little shoes might not be the best bet...
    Chunky docs and bluchers are actually a standard part of slim SW&D outfits.

Just saw the price on the Macneil seconds, goodness what a great price, people buy them! I have a pair and love them (but wear them less than my RL Marlow wingtips)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post

Just saw the price on the Macneil seconds, goodness what a great price, people buy them! I have a pair and love them (but wear them less than my RL Marlow wingtips)
    Those Marlows are a beautiful shoe, but expensive AF! I think C&J made them for RL, no?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say that AE makes any truly "slim" shoes. It's just not really their design. I own 3 pairs of Strands/McAllisters and have have tried on a ton of their other wingtip styles, and I wouldn't say any of them felt like small shoes.

I personally prefer shortwings over longwings, but I have worn my bourbon McAllisters with just about everything. Nearly daily with business casual attire, as well tons of times with gray suits, and with dark jeans on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I ended up stopping at the AE store that is across the street from my work to see what they had in stock and to figure out my sizing. I checked out the Leiden that they had and was surprised how much I liked it. The toe was much more squared off in photos, but in person it was very sleek looking. Ended up getting them in Brown on the flash factory seconds sale for $195. Figure that I can wear this with jeans and khakis and I should also be able to wear them with my navy suit and maybe my charcoal suit. Definitely too refined looking to wear with a pair of chinos though, so I will probably stick to wearing my BR suede bucks with those and maybe pick up a pair of chukkas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post

I have seen that, but that is pretty fashion forward look to pull off in a conservative work environment in the midwest. I could see that working well in the city, and wouldn't bat an eye seeing it here in SF (moving back to Ohio at the end of the month).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    i think it also kinda depends on your build. If you are super slim and wear trim trousers, double soled longwings might be a bit unbalanced. Conversely, if you are athletic and broad, slim little shoes might not be the best bet...
    Agreed