Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your core "go to" brands for wardrobe fundamentals?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Dress Shirts: Uniqlo, Kamakura, Suitsupply
    Dress Pants: Bonobos
    Suits: Suitsupply, Jomers
    Sport Coats: Suitsupply
    T-shirts: Uniqlo
    Jackets: Uniqlo, Bonobos
    Denim: Uniqlo, Bonobos
    Casual Shirts: Uniqlo, Bonobos
    Dress Shoes: Allen Edmonds
    Casual Shoes: Vans, Nike
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Dress Shirts: all CT Slim (mostly non-iron). before i discovered CT, I was wearing poor fitting BR dress shirts or LE OCBDs.
    Casual shirts: since BR changed their sizes, it's mostly JCF/JC slim secret wash/homespun/linen/seersucker/etc.
    Dress Pants: JC Bowery classic (i'm not in shape) with some cheaper LE pants as backups.
    Suits: Suitsupply and JCF
    Jackets/Blazers/Sportcoats: almost never wear them, with the exception of slub linen JCF suit separate and linen-cotton JC in the "deepwater" color.
    Denim - used to wear a variety of BR outlet / Gap / Old Navy, not it's pretty much only Levi 514
    Dress Shoes - AE
    dressy Casual shoes (blue jean fridays and all summer at work) - AE Neumok/strandmok, Nordstrom 1901 suede wingtips & chukkas
    super casual shoes - sketchers, sperrys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Dress shirts - Brooks Brothers
    Sneakers - Puma
    Dress/Casual shoes - Cole Haan
    Jeans - Levis, Uniqlo
    Jackets - Barbour, Superdry, Jcrew, BR
    Misc. Essentials (tshirts, socks, underwear) - Uniqlo
    Suites - Bespoke, JCrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    It's interesting how certain brands come up time and again, which certainly says something positive about them. My closet is mostly full of Brooks Brothers, Spier & Mackay (they are local, so that helps), Kamakura (I can get them at the Japanese prices, so that's better) and a bit of J. Crew.

BB is good simply from the angle that they have many different fits and come out with lots of options each season. Spier and Mackay are unbeatable for MTM shirts, and great value for suits and sport coats, but somewhat limited selection compared to many of their competitors. Kamakura has a great selection on their Japanese site, but they are somewhat inaccessible to many in North America. J. Crew is ok in that they also come out with lots of stuff and it can go on deep discount (the only way I buy anything from them).
    I basically switched to all Brooks Brothers slim fit non iron shirts after I bought my first one. Excellent quality, fit is excellent (although sleeves could be a bit slimmer), and quite durable (I have shirts over 7 years old in excellent condition).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Dress Shirts: The BR Slim Fits (before they went crazy and started "naming" their fits). Haven't found a replacement yet.
    Casual shirts: Mix between JCF/Old Navy/BR
    Dress Pants: LE Trad Fit Year-Rounders, some of their dress chinos as well (though i'm swapping those out for JCF as i can. I'm not in need of an elastic waistband anymore)
    Suits: S&M. Only have one - rarely wear it.
    Jackets/Blazers/Sportcoats: I've got a J.A. Bank hold over in navy (will swap it out when I can), a houndstooth sportcoat I found at a thrift store, and some seersucker job that my fiance found at stein mart that gets no milage but also was $15 dollars so I'm sure I'll find a wedding to vomit on it at later.
    Denim - BR
    Dress Shoes - Bostonians i've had for years - will replace when worth it.
    dressy Casual shoes Nordy Bucks, Desert Boots, the vaunted JCP Deacons
    super casual shoes - sperrys/flip-flops

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
    I basically switched to all Brooks Brothers slim fit non iron shirts after I bought my first one. Excellent quality, fit is excellent (although sleeves could be a bit slimmer), and quite durable (I have shirts over 7 years old in excellent condition).
    I'll second (third?) BB. I'm not up to paying full price for their shirts, although I can say unlike CT, they're worth the MSRP by far. I have a linen suit and three shirts inbound to my local shop (which I intend to keep using as opposed to ordering online; the salesman i've already worked with for both a tuxedo and this order has been absolutely phenomenal) and between the sale price on the suit, the 25% off 3 shirts, their very generous military discount, and the $200 off $500 that just expired (and they're not only stacking all that but honoring the now-expired sales since they didn't have the items in my size in stock on Friday) I'm getting around $1100 (msrp) worth of gear for under 4 bills. That's about the same price as getting a suit and three shirts from Combat Gent....and well....yeah.