Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shoe to suit/jacket quality gap..

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    What features indicate to you that the BB GF is higher quality? Is it the cloth, the lapel roll, or the stitching etc.?

Too be honest, I question how much difference is noticeable between a H&M polyester suit and a SS. I use that example, because I have seen it in real life, and unless you look for the difference you won't notice it. At least for most people. YMMV.
    Well there definitely is a difference in fabric/cut and "drape" once you put it on. A BB GF is much nicer on all those counts.
    You can never have enough shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    There certainly is no rule. The only other place I've seen such a discussion was in response to a question on a style blog where readers were asked what their priorities were in terms of suits, shirts, ties and shoes. Respondents provided ratios instead of dollar figures such as "With ties as a base of 1- here the ratios I use for other purchases:
    Suits 10-12:1; Shoes 5-7:1; Shirts 2:1." This means that if they were willing to spend $100 on a tie, they were willing to pay $200 for a shirt, $500-$700 for shoes and $1000-$1200 for a suit. It was not unusual in this thread that respondents ranked, in order of most expensive to least, suits, shoes, shirts then ties. It was all about priorities, and not rules, though.

I don't think there is a noticeable difference (at least not to the average person) between a BB GF suit and a Suitsupply or Spier & Mackay suit, if they both fit well. It's certainly your right to value shoes more, however I would think that most people would think that spending $1000 on a pair of EG shoes is absolutely insane, while a $400-$600 suit is not exorbitant.
    Well, the reason I am willing to Buy a pair of EG is because **I** can appreciate the difference. I mean, I don't , (and I think most of us don't) just wear things because of how expensive they look to others. We buy them because we can appreciate the craftsmanship/quality/design. I can spot a pair of good shoes/low quality shoes from a distance, not that I am necessary looking, or worried about it, but I can just tell. I not walking around worried about if someone knows that EG made my shoes or if they think that it's from Aldo. That's not important. That being said, we have had visitors from the U.K. in my office, and one guy did ask me about my shoes. He thought they where Alfred Sargent. He's probably a shoe guy too. To date, no one has asked/confused my shoes with Stacy Adams.
    You can never have enough shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    I can clearly see the difference between EG and AEs while looking at them at Brooks Brothers. I would think that even the average person could tell if you put them side by side. But this is kind of like shipping to HDTVs at Best Buy...you can see the difference when they are together, but once they are on their own, most average people wouldn't know one from another.

I think some of the points made on this thread are:

1. Don't wear Stacy Adams shoes with a Canali suit and don't wear Edward Green shoes with an H&M suit, because the weakest link will show.
    2. SuSu and Spier & Mackay, while less expensive than a GF BB suit, are not bad suits by any means. They are perhaps the AE of the suit world (as opposed to the Aldo) in that they are near the bottom end of the suit world when it come to being well constructed and nicely styled for the price.

Having said this, if you aren't comfortable wearing those suits with your shoes then perhaps put off the next shoe purchase and buyer a higher end suit. I don't think anyone else will notice or care unless you start buying cheaper suits or worse fitting suits.