Thread: Does this look alright?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Does this look alright?

I am fairly new to the wearing of a sport coat, and I wanted to ensure that I had it down. I would appreciate any tips or comments on how to make the whole outfit come together better in the future. I recently purchased a few sport coats from Banana Republic and I am just now understanding the difficulty in coordinating the right colors and designs for my pants and shirts. Despite the lack of men in sport coats in my region, I enjoy looking my best and would like to incorporate them more in the future. Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)
    The jacket to too big. There should be no gap between the shirt collar and jacket. The sleeves are too long and the shoulders should end at your natural shoulders, although it is hard to tell from that photo. Can you post a better picture?

Regarding styling, as the jacket is so dark, the contrast is very stark. You might want to balance the contrast with a colored (e.g., light blue) shirt, slightly darker chinos and lighter shoes.

You can wear light (sand or off-white) chinos with a navy jacket, but it's more an outdoor, summertime look. However, none of that matters if the jacket doesn't fit properly, which right now it doesn't. That should be fixed first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the feedback. As for other pictures, I only have a couple of me seated. I do believe you are correct about the shoulders too.

[IMG][/IMG]

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    I think the overall combination of navy jacket, white shirt and tan or stone chinos is a classic combination that can look great if the fit is right. I'll agree that the jacket in question is a bit too large, with the long sleeves and collar gap being the worst offenders. Otherwise I'd also point out that a pinstriped jacket can also some off looking like an orphaned suit jacket, but perhaps that's a conversation for another thread.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I would avoid pinstripes if I were you. Almost impossible to pull off in a sportcoat! Also the comments above re: fit are spot on.