Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer II or Omega Seamaster?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Rolex Explorer II or Omega Seamaster?

I know, I know. That's like asking Honda or Toyota, Ford or GM, etc. But anyway...

After seeing @drocpsu wearing his Seamaster, and @Vicious49 posting a helpful link about the watch, it started me thinking it might be time to invest in another time piece. @LesserBlackDog posted some great images of his Rolex Explorer II which also started me thinking about looking out for a Rolex. Trouble is, how do you decide between the two?

So why not post up a thread on Dappered and see what others think. Is this a superfluous discussion/thread? Totally.

Is it fun to virtual shop and chat about watches? Definitely.

So in the realm of a used Seamaster vs. a used Explorer II, does one watch come out on top? Or in the end does it all come down to personal preferences? If you already had a watch from one manufacturer in your collection, would you double up or expand and get something new?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I would go with the explorer II simply because I think it looks cooler. Both are very great, no wrong choice there, seems more like a personal preference thing to me. I am sure you could really go down the rabbit hole with this and get into the minutia of comparing every conceivable aspect of the watches. But at the end of the day I slightly prefer the look of the Explorer so I would rather look down and see that on my wrist.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    From a GMT to GMT standpoint, I find the Explorer II pulls off the GMT function better than the Seamaster GMT. I like the numbers on the bezel of the Ex2 instead of on the watch face. Comparing Seamaster to Submariner, it would be a tougher choice though I am a Crown Fanboi so I would go Sub.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    Without actually looking, a used Explorer 2 is going to run quite a bit more (2-3x) than a used Seamaster. I have one of the late 90's Seamasters, and it's a great watch that could probably be had lightly used for a grand. Used Explorer 2's are 4 or 5 grand.

The land where squirrels work office jobs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    a seamaster 300m or a seamaster planet ocean?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    @Evenflow yes! I did a quick and dirty search on WatchRecon and you're 100% accurate on the price. I had no idea the price difference would be so great. Any ideas as to why?

@flatbear good question. I'm thinking 300m.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @Evenflow yes! I did a quick and dirty search on WatchRecon and you're 100% accurate on the price. I had no idea the price difference would be so great. Any ideas as to why?

From a brand new standpoint, Rolex doesn't offer discounts these days vs. Omega which you can likely get a discount on. Looks like you can get a Omega Seamaster 300m from Jomasshop for <$4K but the Rolex will cost $7-$8K depending on if you go through an AD vs. gray market dealer.

That is sort of my problem with Omega is that you said Explorer II and we had to guess between white dial vs. black dial. Omega we had at least 20 options to ponder over and who knows how many special editions from the past you could select from. The only time this is a pain with Rolex is the DJ range which has a ton of options and dials

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    That is sort of my problem with Omega is that you said Explorer II and we had to guess between white dial vs. black dial. Omega we had at least 20 options to ponder over and who knows how many special editions from the past you could select from. The only time this is a pain with Rolex is the DJ range which has a ton of options and dials
    Ah, the paradox of choice

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post

The price difference exists because Rolex has a (significantly) better brand image compared to Omega. There's more prestige associated with a Rolex, so even people who don't care or know anything about watches might still want to purchase a Rolex for other reasons. Especially on the secondary market, Rolex retains value much better than Omega does (for the most part).

As for Explorer II vs. Seamaster, it comes down to personal preference. Once you get into that price range, you're paying thousands of dollars for marginal improvements or features, so I think it's hard to make an objective case for either. The Explorer II doesn't really speak to me design wise so if I had to choose between that and a Seamaster 300 I'd take the Seamaster. If it was Sub vs. Seamaster I'd have a much harder time choosing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    In choosing a watch for my tenth anniversary last year, I went with the Seamster, albeit a modified version that IMO combines the best parts of the old 300m (slimness) and the Planet Ocean (bezel) It helped greatly that the Omega was much cheaper. Freed up enough money for us to spend 3 weeks in Italy. Happy wife, happy life an all that.