Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blazer / Sport Jacket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Blazer / Sport Jacket

Any recommendations for a first blazer or sport jacket? Looking for something versatile I can throw on business casual for big meetings at work or for a date. Assume I'm only going to own one jacket.

This was tempting but I don't love the color. I'm thinking a darker navy. https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...n-cotton/A0720

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc89 View Post
    Any recommendations for a first blazer or sport jacket? Looking for something versatile I can throw on business casual for big meetings at work or for a date. Assume I'm only going to own one jacket.

This was tempting but I don't love the color. I'm thinking a darker navy. https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...n-cotton/A0720
    Dark navy is generally considered the most versatile blazer color, but I think a slightly brighter than navy blue wears better with dark wash jeans while still working well with gray wool trousers and chinos. I'd recommend a slightly textured wool like hopsack if you're going for only one sport coat. Cotton is fine, but wool will wear better over time, and unlined hopsack will breathe well in the summer months.

http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...ntemporary_fit

Just be warned once you start your sport coat collection, it's very hard to stop...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1033 Post(s)
    Depending on work environment, wool may be preferred over cotton for a sport coat. Also I would stay away from a sport coat that is too far into the inky blue to wear it could almost look black. My first sport coat was like this but I have since purchased a navy one and prefer wearing it more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I have a Bonobos light navy with a slight almost unseen windowpane pattern. I really like the jacket and would recommend something similar...that Spier and McKay jacket above looks Aces granted I don't own one already nor do I need another blue.

Bottom line, would definitely go with a light navy color

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    If you only have one blazer, it should be wool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

If you are going J Crew, I would opt for the Legacy Blazer over the one you've linked. Really nice jacket that isn't too formal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    How formal are your dates? i.e. Are you going to coffee shops and pubs or restaurants with Michelin stars? How formal is your business? Do you wear jeans or wool slacks to work?

If you don't have a reason to need a more formal jacket, then feel free to buy cotton. If you don't need a jacket then you definitely don't need a wool one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

I have this jacket in blue and khaki and I get comments ever time I wear them. I like the non workable cuffs which makes tailoring super easy. The partially lined is a must/given IMO for a cotton jacket. The jacket holds up fairly well and doesn't easily wrinkle like some lighter cottons. Soft shoulders, typical small JCrew Lapels, and Ludlow slim fit

I will say $228 full MSRP is way too high, I got each one of mine for $70 or less on sale. I think to start off the Unreconstructed blazers at $168 are great as a cheaper and ever so slightly less formal alternative

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...ine-navy/F0736

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    If you are going J Crew, I would opt for the Legacy Blazer over the one you've linked. Really nice jacket that isn't too formal.
    I also have the Legacy and mine (older version) is described as Navy but is so dark in some lighting it could pass as black. Supposedly the new version is more of a true navy blue. For a blazer the basic buttons are a bit of a let down. However the wool is super soft, the jacket is partially lined, and the jacket has soft shoulders. I did find my 34S Ludlow to be a little more fitted compared to other Ludlows oddly enough

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by josiahv View Post
    Dark navy is generally considered the most versatile blazer color, but I think a slightly brighter than navy blue wears better with dark wash jeans while still working well with gray wool trousers and chinos. I'd recommend a slightly textured wool like hopsack if you're going for only one sport coat. Cotton is fine, but wool will wear better over time, and unlined hopsack will breathe well in the summer months.

http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...ntemporary_fit

Just be warned once you start your sport coat collection, it's very hard to stop...
    This (or the darker navy version). Being wool it will pair better with wool trousers, but the softness of the cut will not make it too formal for more casual pants as well.