Thread: Stretch fabric or better fit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Stretch fabric or better fit?

My clothes that have stretch fabric are much more comfortable and seem to allow for a slimmer fit while still being able to move.

I want to start dressing better and buying clothes MTM but I am having trouble finding stretch fabric options, for both pants and shirts.

Am I right in the assumption that stretch fabric will suit me better? or is it possible just getting a better fit with MTM will suffice?

The reason I'm leaning towards stretch fit fabric is because I am fairly muscular. I have not been able to find pants that are slim enough around my thigh while not feeling like they are going to rip at the seems when I sit down, unless there is some stretch in the fabric. Even 2% lycra makes a huge difference. And then with shirts in general while moving around there is always something pulling and tugging.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    MTM, if done right, should absolutely be able to provide a slim fit while being comfortable, but the key is how slim do you want it? I wear my clothes slim
    by traditional standards, but I don't want any part of my shirts or pants (or jackets) to be so slim as to not provide space for movement. For me this means that in any position I should be able to pinch a minimum of an inch of fabric (well, perhaps not including shirt cuffs, collar and trouser waistband).

Using Google Image search look for "The Armoury Trousers". I consider the fit of the trousers these guys wear to be slim and stylish, although the high rise of some of the trousers may not be to the liking of the average non-iGent.

I you are willing to pay for MTM them another option may be to purchase a quality trouser OTR that fits in the seat and thigh and then have the waist taken in and the leg tapered by a tailor to your liking.

MTM shirts, provided the dimensions are right, can be slim and comfortable in 100% cotton. Again, this is assuming you are not looking to wear the shirt so slim as to display your physique.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I agree that stretch should not be necessary. With a dress shirt you don't want to have it skin tight. I think with pants, if you are muscular, then to have it tight on your thighs is ok.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superhandsomeman View Post
    My clothes that have stretch fabric are much more comfortable and seem to allow for a slimmer fit while still being able to move.

I want to start dressing better and buying clothes MTM but I am having trouble finding stretch fabric options, for both pants and shirts.

Am I right in the assumption that stretch fabric will suit me better? or is it possible just getting a better fit with MTM will suffice?

The reason I'm leaning towards stretch fit fabric is because I am fairly muscular. I have not been able to find pants that are slim enough around my thigh while not feeling like they are going to rip at the seems when I sit down, unless there is some stretch in the fabric. Even 2% lycra makes a huge difference. And then with shirts in general while moving around there is always something pulling and tugging.

BR and Old Navy (both Gap family so it makes sense) have a lot of stretch-based options as far as the pants aspect (ON is more denim-based with some chinos as well; BR has a lot more of the dressed-up options with stretch). For shirts, agreed with the previous that a proper MTM type fit would probably work much much better. Maybe also take a look at Charles Tyrwhitt (not sure where you're located, but they do have some stores in major metro areas around the US, but they're based in London AFAIK) by grabbing something on sale (or even from the clearance section to try out a specific type). It's a trial-and-error process regardless; just gotta keep trying. If you have a BR or Old Navy nearby, go see what they have in store with the flex/stretch pants. I recently found out the Old Navy built-in flex max jeans give a great looking slim fit and don't cut off circulation when I sit (I'm not YUGE or anything, but definitely an athletic build).