Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Monk vs Single Monk styles

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Single Monk vs Single Monk styles

I wanted to get people's opinions on the types of single monk straps.

On the one hand, you've got the style with the large broad strap across the shoe, like the AE Warwick.

On the other hand, you've got the style where it's very much like a double monk strap but instead has the bottom of the strap stitched in place, like the Edward Green Audley.

What do you all think? Any specific preference for one type over the other?
    Last edited by Domino; March 8th, 2017 at 08:57 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)
    Seems like the only two defined single monk styles are either cutaway like the EG Audley or traditional like the AE Warwick. I have no experience with cutaway single monks, I think in isolation they look nice, but I wonder if they necessitate pants with no break in order to keep the buckle visible.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I have a pair of BR Wyatts https://dappered.com/2015/08/in-revi...r-single-monk/ and like them enough for a pair of cheapish dress shoes (I think I paid $62 for them). I don't have a preference in general between the two styles though, I have considered picking up a pair of AE Warwicks, but every time I have had the cash and the need for a new pair of shoes another style has won out over them. Overall I think both styles can be done really well, and both styles can be done pretty horribly, depending who's making the shoes the and style/quality nuances they choose. Definitely not the first shoe i would get (or second or third) if I was just starting to build up my shoe collection, but down they road they can be a great addition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    planning on Oxblood Warwick's as my next purchase, big fan of them

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    but I wonder if they necessitate pants with no break in order to keep the buckle visible.
    Why does the buckle need to be visible? Part of the appeal of the single monk is that it's more reserved. If you want something more ostentatious, get a double monk.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Why does the buckle need to be visible? Part of the appeal of the single monk is that it's more reserved. If you want something more ostentatious, get a double monk.
    Because I feel it's weird to want to wear a monkstrap but not want to show arguably the defining feature of a monkstrap (the buckle). It's like wanting a pair of button boots but then hiding all the buttons... why not just get a standard pair of boots then? Not sure your point about ostentatiousness is relevant: a single monk whether it has a visible buckle or not is still more reserved than a double monk. Just because I want the buckle to be visible doesn't mean I should skip the Warwick in favor of the Mora. If I'm wearing a monkstrap then I'm making a conscious decision to be more ostentatious vs. wearing a captoe, if the buckle + strap aren't even visible then I'd rather just wear wholecuts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I think wanting to show the buckle vs. not is a personal preference.

I could see someone preferring to close a buckle rather than tie a lace, and not want to show it off.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Warwick is so bad ass that it's almost unbelievable.

I just wanted to add that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I actually like the cutaway single monk for that same reason. I think of any monk strap as a bit more flashy and fancy, and the cutaway version as the flashiest and fanciest of the options.

But maybe that's just me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Also, apologies for goofing on the post, I missed a " in the code so it chopped off about half of the post, including one of the examples I was thinking of.