Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denim Advice

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    I have the same jeans as DocDave. I have a 32" inseam, 35-36" waist (actual), and skinny legs. I think I got 32x32 and they fit really well. They could be a bit slimmer in the leg, but that's a gripe I always have with pants. I think mine were like 20 bucks on clearance. Worth every penny and then some. I would never spend 100 bucks or more on jeans, I don't know how any brand would be that much better than the gap ones.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)
    I have Gustins on order.

I won't be able to comment until they arrive.....like, late April sometime I think?

Not the best if you're in a rush, but a friend with my measurements allowed me to try on a pair of his big G pance and I made the decision to get some of my own. Honestly I really tend to stick with Levis or Old Navy; this is my first branching-out to something more expensive than about $35 or so for a single pair.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)
    I will second any mention of Gustin if you are willing to wait 2-4 months. I bought a cheap pair of the bluexblack off EBay NWT to nail down the fit (ended up loving them although they are not traditional dark denim) are then ordered a pair of #7's in December and received them last month. The slim fit is perfect for me....5' 8" 175lbs, and the quality is excellent.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Naked and Famous is the parent company of Unbranded and all of Unbranded's fits are based on N&F fits. The Weird Guy and the Tappered fit have very similar measurements so if the rise is too low on one it would probably be too low on the other. I think the Weird Guy's rise is way too low. N&F does make a Weird Guy High with a higher rise but I think its only available through their store, Tate & Yoko.

Uniqlos jeans have a decent rise but I found there wasn't enough room in the thighs. The JCrew 770 fit has a higher rise as does the JCF Sutton. Neither is worth the full price but the 770s are oaky if you can catch them on a 40% off sale.
    Just checked the unbranded rise length, and you're right - They're similar. The only explanation I can give for my experience is probably I bought a much smaller (and incorrect) size for my Unbranded jeans, where as I bought the correct size for N&F.

Do you think the weird guy is that much lower compared to a 770? According to the charts, a size 31 N&F has 10.5" front rise, whilst a size 32 JC 770 has 11" inch? I've never tried the 770, but if you feel the size charts are misleading and they're much higher in rise, I'd give 'em a go.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celimos View Post
    Just checked the unbranded rise length, and you're right - They're similar. The only explanation I can give for my experience is probably I bought a much smaller (and incorrect) size for my Unbranded jeans, where as I bought the correct size for N&F.

Do you think the weird guy is that much lower compared to a 770? According to the charts, a size 31 N&F has 10.5" front rise, whilst a size 32 JC 770 has 11" inch? I've never tried the 770, but if you feel the size charts are misleading and they're much higher in rise, I'd give 'em a go.
    N&F is known to have a lot of variation between production runs so its hard to rely on a generic size chart. I think their biggest fit issue is that their back rise is way too low. This often doesn't show up in size guides but its pretty important. Take a look at the fit guide on the N&F website. The model for the Weird Guy has no ass but it looks like he has a terribly uncomfortable wedgie.

The 770 definitely has a higher rise. Its more of a mid-rise fit compared to the Weird Guy which is about as low as you can get. I don't know the actual measurements of each but you'd be surprise how much an added half an inch can make. Especially if it has a proportionately high back rise. Again, just look at the model on the JCrew site and you can see the difference.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    N&F is known to have a lot of variation between production runs so its hard to rely on a generic size chart. I think their biggest fit issue is that their back rise is way too low. This often doesn't show up in size guides but its pretty important. Take a look at the fit guide on the N&F website. The model for the Weird Guy has no ass but it looks like he has a terribly uncomfortable wedgie.

The 770 definitely has a higher rise. Its more of a mid-rise fit compared to the Weird Guy which is about as low as you can get. I don't know the actual measurements of each but you'd be surprise how much an added half an inch can make. Especially if it has a proportionately high back rise. Again, just look at the model on the JCrew site and you can see the difference.
    Noted regarding N&F inconsistencies. I don't really have a large posterior either so I find the Weird Guy back rise to be sufficient. I haven't tried 770 so I can't comment, but compared to most jeans I've tried Weird Guy has a higher rise for me. This is including Levis 511, 514, and Gustins. We are likely to have quite different body shapes, so that's probably why you think the rise on WG's are as low as you can get, but it's not been my experience with them. OP, YMMV I guess.