Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How water proof is dubbed suede?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

How water proof is dubbed suede?

My brother recently gave me his new pair of clark desert boots in suede. Where I live the vast majority of the time I am wanting to wear this type of boot happens to coincide with wet/snowy weather. Does anyone know how effective dubbing the suede would be? I'm ok with the color change that would take place. My main concern is that is wouldn't be completely/mostly waterproof and would drastically lessen the lifetime of the boot.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    I bought Allen Edmonds suede protector and it has held up well on my suede Carmina's in the winter. There is a video for Saphir suede protector where someone sprays it on a pair of Aldens then pour hot coffee on the shoes and it runs right off. I think with either of these you should be good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I'd avoid wearing shoes with crepe soles in wet conditions.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    IMO dubbing is a bad idea. It kills the look of a shoe and makes them look flat. Go buy Tarrago Nano Shoe Protector by Leffot. It's the standard in suede shoe care for weatherproofing them. A little expensive compared to store bought products, but well worth it.

https://youtu.be/PnOw_sNVG0A

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    I use AE suede protector, I've heard good things about Tarrago nano protector as well. It's not made by Leffot it's made by Tarrago, and don't buy it from Leffot either, it's half the price on Amazon compared to what it is on Leffot ($9 vs. $17). Even if you apply protector I'm not sure how waterproof it'll be if you plan on walking through snow.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Ditto on Token's comment. The Tarrago Nano protector is great but it won't make your shoes waterproof, only highly water-resistant. It won't stop moisture if your shoes get saturated for an extended period of time.

Aren't the uppers of Clarks desert boots stitched directly to the sole? I may be wrong but if there's no welt, no amount of waterproofing of the suede will stop water from seeping in between the sole.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    417 Post(s)
    i was curious about the AE protector so after spraying my MDxAE chukkas, I dribbled some water on them and it ran right off, no evidence it had ever been there.

ditto above though, nothing makes suede truly waterproof. just more resistant is all. good cheap insurance, but not a guarantee.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Ditto on Token's comment. The Tarrago Nano protector is great but it won't make your shoes waterproof, only highly water-resistant. It won't stop moisture if your shoes get saturated for an extended period of time.

Aren't the uppers of Clarks desert boots stitched directly to the sole? I may be wrong but if there's no welt, no amount of waterproofing of the suede will stop water from seeping in between the sole.
    There is a difference between waterproofing the leather and making the soles water tight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    There is a difference between waterproofing the leather and making the soles water tight.
    You're right. I read too much into teethtime's question. I thought he wanted to waterproof his boots but looking back he's only trying to extend the longevity of the suede. To that I say, use a suede protector and don't worry about the suede getting ruined if it gets wet. Suede is actually pretty resilient. As for dubbing, I don't think its necessary on a pair of Clarks DBs unless you like the look. Clarks will never be completely waterproof because of the way the soles are attached to the uppers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Thank everyone👍. Ya I'm not expecting complete waterproofness. I should probably have provided as example. The other day it was 50 degrees during the early part of the day, so I throw on the CDB. By the evening, and we had plans that involved some walking outside, it is a pretty serious wet snow storm and accumulates a few inches. So I'm walking in wet snow, not the crisp snow that might not present much of a problem. I wouldn't use the cdbs as a winter boot, but would like to keep them protected when a situation like this arises. And, based on my experience, this type of occurrence is somewhat common in the fall spring.