Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cork Footbeds + After Market Insoles

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Cork Footbeds + After Market Insoles

Thoughts on this? Would aftermarket insoles like superfeet negate the benefits of the cork shaping to your foot? I got a cheaper pair of the Banana Republic Louis Chelsea Boots and just picked up a slightly used pair of Allen Edmonds Liverpools on eBay. Don't shoot me or my weird feet but the BR are more comfortable as far as the padding/insoles. Maybe the AE get more comfortable as they shape to your feet? Def like the sleeker look of the AE but I don't love the comfort so far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I'm interested in this as well. My Strandmoks are incredibly comfortable, but I'm struggling with the Higgins Mill.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    It does take a little while for the cork to shape. How much have you worn them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude1980 View Post
    Thoughts on this? Would aftermarket insoles like superfeet negate the benefits of the cork shaping to your foot?
    Can you get superfeet insoles in the shoes and still wear them? Those things are pretty thick.

And yes, throwing a layer of foam over the existing insoles will largely negate the foot-forming benefit of the cork bed. If you find the cork bed that uncomfortable, though, that really doesn't matter. I'd recommend wearing them for a while to see if the cork-forming helps. If they still aren't comfortable after a good break-in, try the foam insoles.

Those Liverpools are also Goodyear welted, which will probably make them feel stiffer than the Louis boots. This could be contributing to the less-comfortable feeling. I don't know if foam insoles will really help with this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Can you get superfeet insoles in the shoes and still wear them? Those things are pretty thick.

And yes, throwing a layer of foam over the existing insoles will largely negate the foot-forming benefit of the cork bed. If you find the cork bed that uncomfortable, though, that really doesn't matter. I'd recommend wearing them for a while to see if the cork-forming helps. If they still aren't comfortable after a good break-in, try the foam insoles.

Those Liverpools are also Goodyear welted, which will probably make them feel stiffer than the Louis boots. This could be contributing to the less-comfortable feeling. I don't know if foam insoles will really help with this.
    Actually no. After wearing them a but more there is no way an insole would fit without being tight. That being said, I got another pair of AE Chelsea boots. An older version a half size up from what I normally wear and a thin insole would work in there - a black or blue version of the Superfeet, they are low/thin profile.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    It takes time for both the cork and the leather insole itself to conform to your foot. Took at least 10 wears on a couple of my GYW shoes, less on others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully they will get better. They are used so I'm a little worried they may he molded to someone else's foot but I'll wear them a bit to see if they get better.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    I have really wierd big wide feet, and due to the AE's being available in widths, and the cork footbed, they are far and away my best fitting and most comfortable shoes.

I love them. just wait a little bit, the footbed takes a good amount of wear but it really gets perfect after a little bit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    I have really wierd big wide feet, and due to the AE's being available in widths, and the cork footbed, they are far and away my best fitting and most comfortable shoes.

I love them. just wait a little bit, the footbed takes a good amount of wear but it really gets perfect after a little bit.
    I'd second this opinion. I am a 9 EEE in most Allen Edmonds and I've ALWAYS worn insoles with my dress shoes....until my Fifth Avenue cork beds conformed. Now, I can wear them all day w/o my feet killing me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Agreed with everyone up the thread; tough it out and your feet will thank you. I know it sucks up front, but it WILL get better.