Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality of Frye vs JCrew Kenton

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teethtime View Post
    I'm glad to hear they are of higher quality than the Kentons. Any opinion on their suede versions of the Walter?
    Sorry, can't help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    where do you guys consistently find discounted fryes?
    No clue. The OP said he can get them around $160. Not a bad value at that price but at full price they're not to worth it. At full price I would just save a little longer and go with the real thing from Alden.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I love my j crew kentons. I get lots of complements on them. More so than any allen edmonds that i wear. I think for the price point when they are on sale, they are hard to beat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    @evanparker I'm usually in agreement with you on most things, but I think you're a bit off base on this one. "Most Fryes have a flaw on them that would make them unsaleable for most other companies," is a pretty broad generalization about a company that makes a variety of products. Also, the comments regarding Indonesian/Chinese manufacturing are not really relevant considering the OP is specifically asking about the Walter, which is their top of the line boot and made in USA.

@Geo Sorry to hear you've had such problems with yours. I've owned my Walter's for 2-years, and I haven't had any of the issues you mention. They are part of a pretty large shoe/boot rotation, but they have been the boots I've grabbed most often this winter.

I'm not sure my collection is as big as @Shade 's (I'm scared to count), but I do have boots from Alden, Allen Edmonds, Chippewa, Grenson, Meermin, Red Wings, RM Williams, Wolverine, etc so it is pretty varied. I would put the construction of my Frye Walter's on par to my Wolverines. I did have to take a lighter around the boot to burn any loose stitching, but I have to do that with AE and Wolverine too. They are also the boots I get the most compliments on outside of my Aldens. For their retail price, I would be the first to say they are not worth it. However, I think they are worth it below $200 for sure.

@teethtime I just purchased a pair of the Frye Walter Country (suede) a couple months back off of eBay. The suede uppers are noticeably thin, but I guess that comes with suede. Also, it is a rubber lug sole compared to a leather sole on the regular Walter, so they are bit clunkier. No glaring construction defects, but I have only worn them twice. In regards to the Kentons, I bought a pair once and returned them. Not a fan of the soles.

For sizing reference, I'm a perfect 10D on the brannock and both my Frye boots are 9.5. I wear a 9 in Red Wings & Wolverine and a 9.5E in AE 5-last.

As far as finding them discounted, I purchased my first pair for $160 off of STP with a coupon a couple years back. The Frye Country I got a steal on eBay for a once worn pair for $45.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Nordstrom Rack has the Frye Walter Country for $160 https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...color=CHESTNUT

6PM has the Suede versions on sale http://www.6pm.com/frye-walter

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    @connersw It sounds like Shade was correct in that Frye fixed the problem. I went through several pairs and they all suffered from the same exact problem. The sales rep at the store told me they were getting a lot of returns and exchanges for the Walter boot for the same reasons. So they definitely knew there was an issue at the time. The sales guy recommended a nearby cobbler and Frye even reimburse me for the expense to have them reinforced. Say what you want about their shoes but their customer service is top notch. Since then I haven't had an issue and I get compliments on them all the time as well. They are a good looking boot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    This review on reddit seems overly harsh as if they were looking for issues to find with the boot. Especially on the GYW subreddit if the brand is not Carmina, Alden, Viberg, etc. they assume the shoe is garbage and not worth owning. I have never owned a pair of Fryes but I am considering a purchase, I own a pair of Wolverine 1ks that I am very happy with but Wolverine is consistently trashed on the GYW subreddit.

Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    I would also add that Fryes is adding a lot of indonesian/chinese made lines these days, and the quality of the components of these tend to be lower than the Mexican made ones. I think Fryes has been pushing these lower internal-cost shoes more for the faster-turn of the womens shoes market than the slower turns of mens shoes, but it's currently happening to both lines.

I would especially be on the lookout for these because they often still ask $250-350 for them. If the mexican fryes were ever even close to being some sort of ok deal, then these chinese/indonesian ones really are not.

If they just wanted a cheaped out line, with bad quality for low prices i wouldn't even care, that would be fine, but it's a bit of a step to keep the price high and demote the quality level considerably.

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel..._country_boot/

this is a good objective review of a fryes boot with quality issues

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    With the new lower price on he kentons and today's sale I ended up buying a pair. I already had a 75 dollar JCrew gift card left over from Christmas and have had no use for, so it ended up being around 50 bucks out of my pocket. I figured I couldn't get a better deal than that. Now I'm just hoping the 10.5 fits! They ran out of 11 as soon as I went to order both sizes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hapablap View Post
    This review on reddit seems overly harsh as if they were looking for issues to find with the boot. Especially on the GYW subreddit if the brand is not Carmina, Alden, Viberg, etc. they assume the shoe is garbage and not worth owning. I have never owned a pair of Fryes but I am considering a purchase, I own a pair of Wolverine 1ks that I am very happy with but Wolverine is consistently trashed on the GYW subreddit.
    Yeah...its hard to claim its a good objective review when the first sentence is "Frye has no place in my heart or on my feet, I have returned every single pair of frye shoes that I have been gifted before this."

Quote Originally Posted by teethtime View Post
    With the new lower price on he kentons and today's sale I ended up buying a pair. I already had a 75 dollar JCrew gift card left over from Christmas and have had no use for, so it ended up being around 50 bucks out of my pocket. I figured I couldn't get a better deal than that. Now I'm just hoping the 10.5 fits! They ran out of 11 as soon as I went to order both sizes.
    Nice. I hope they work out for you. I don't have first hand experience with the JCrew boots but I did try them on in store and contemplated picking up a pair on a steep discount. With all of this talk about Frye boots the fact that the JCrew boots aren't half bad either got lost in the mix.