Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailoring sleeves question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Tailoring sleeves question

I recently purchased a hsm new york fit blazer and need to have the sleeves shortened an inch, the tailor I took it to stated that they couldn't do it without closing the sleeve. Is this normal or should I find another tailor?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1030 Post(s)
    You could shorten the sleeves from the shoulder but that could be a $100 alteration compared to a <$50 from the base of the sleeve and a competent tailor shoulder be able to do that. Do they have a Short sizing for the sport coat? I've never heard of the only option being closing the sleeve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The tailor said that there wasnt enough material to shorten the sleeves and keep it open. I dont have alot of experience with blazers which is why i ask. I am guessing the only way to do it would be from the shoulder, I may see about taking it to another tailor and getting their opinion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    An inch is probably too much without either doing it from the shoulders as JBarwick suggested, or losing the functioning cuffs as your tailor suggested. e.g. SuitSupply says you can shorten the sleeves by 3/4 of an inch. Any more than that and you mess up the functioning cuffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Guess the next question would be should I care if it is closed?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Ask what closing the sleeve means. If it means that the end will be folded over, then go elsewhere. If it means that the functioning buttons will be converted to non functioning, but the sleeve will end with a proper slit, then I would do it (assuming the cost is <$50).

If the jacket is not cheap and the sleeve length is the only thing that is missing for a near perfect fit (post photos here), or if the above is not possible, Go elsewhere and ask for the sleeves to be taken in at the shoulder.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    What's the benefit of a full sleeve slit? I had 1.5" - 2" taken off the sleeve. They moved non-functioning buttons and left what part of the slit still remained but its clearly not the full length. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    They want to sew it completely shut with no slit. They are dry cleaners that also do tuxedo rentals and alterations but think I will take it to a different tailor. Thanks for the feedback

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmreg View Post
    What's the benefit of a full sleeve slit? [...] its clearly not the full length.
    That's pretty much it. It might look a little odd to have half of the buttons above the slit and half below.

For functioning buttons, it's more of a problem because you can't close the existing buttonholes when you move the buttons up the sleeve. So you end up with either buttons way too close to the end of the sleeve or unused buttonholes, neither of which is really acceptable.
    Last edited by dpark; March 6th, 2017 at 12:36 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jedshadey View Post
    They want to sew it completely shut with no slit. They are dry cleaners that also do tuxedo rentals and alterations but think I will take it to a different tailor. Thanks for the feedback
    Are these functioning buttons? SuSu has a 3/4-inch limit because you can't physically move the existing buttonholes. If these aren't functioning buttons, you don't have that limitation, and sewing the slit closed doesn't do anything useful that I can see.