Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer shirts

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Summer shirts

This is to go along with that shorts thread since I feel my summer shirts are lacking as I move out of my standard graphic tees.

What would everyone recommend for summer shirt staples?

What to wear for daily casual with shorts?

"Smart casual" with chinos?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Long sleeve linen shirts are my go-tos for the beach and resort, worn with canvas slip-ons, drivers, or flip-flops. I wear them with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows, or I roll the sleeves down a bit if I want to be shielded from the sun.

Polos are what I usually wear for the city, worn with canvas slip-ons, drivers, or stan smiths. Occasionally, I wear my oxfords with my shorts too, if it's not too hot.

These would work with chinos too, and the collars dress them up a bit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I'm a big fan of Madras shirts in short or long sleeves. There are a ton of colors available from various makers, so you can go subtle or bright. They're my summer go-to with everything from canvas shorts to denim to chinos with a sportcoat...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)
    Long sleeve cotton shirts are the most versatile. You can roll up the sleeve when it is hot, and they look more stylish than short sleeves. I recommend these for smart causal. Staple colors are white and blue, and a pattern with a white base.

I also suggest polos. Make sure it is well fitting and looks sharp.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I'm going to wear more short sleeve button ups this summer. Similar to these

https://bonobos.com/products/riviera...d&shirt-size=m

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Never short sleeved shirts. Linen is good.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2039 Post(s)
    Nothing wrong with short sleeved shirts but the fit must be perfect (especially w/r/t sleeve length/width), the shirt must be very casual (no Dwight Schrute-esque short sleeved dress shirts), and as with things like short shorts, it helps if you're in good shape.

With shorts I wear lightweight t-shirts or polos, or rarely a short sleeved button up shirt. With chinos or other trousers I wear a short sleeved shirt or long sleeves in a lightweight material like poplin.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GinghamKing View Post
    I'm going to wear more short sleeve button ups this summer. Similar to these

https://bonobos.com/products/riviera...d&shirt-size=m
    I tried one of those from bonobos last year and really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't right. It was a slim fit, but it was not slim enough through the stomach. I did notice they have a tailored fit now. All my bonobos long sleeve shirts are slim fit not tailored, but i guess the fit could be different.
    One other note, the fabric was a bit stiff, but that could have been the individual shirt I tried.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Along the same lines, does anyone have a favorite inexpensive cotton/linen blend shirt? My limited searches so far have found S&M, which has a spread collar which i don't really want, or Old Navy, where I'm not sure about the S/M/L sizing, although I guess tailoring is an option if I catch them on sale.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Last year I bought a couple of the short sleeve linen shirts from BR (on sale of course) http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=671741012 after reading the suggestion at the bottom https://dappered.com/2016/04/polopal...polos-of-2016/

I like it a lot, and will most likely be picking up more this year (waiting for sale+coupon).