Thread: Water Spot on Shoe, A Few Hours Old - What to do?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Water Spot on Shoe, A Few Hours Old - What to do?

So, I was washing my hands around 8:10pm tonight and afterwards I noticed a big old drop of water had gotten on my shoe. I immediately wiped it off but it was on there long enough apparently to discolor the leather. I dabbed with towel what I could. Is there anything I can do to help? I figure the sooner the better!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Let it dry. It should be fine. I've noticed this happening since I've upgraded my shoes recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pborkstrom View Post
    Let it dry. It should be fine. I've noticed this happening since I've upgraded my shoes recently.

Never had one last this long before. I've let other spots dry after wiping off the excess and they have evaporated no problem. I think it might not be a water mark, or at least, not only one. I think there is some cheap polish on these shoes. I bought these on eBay. They were very lightly used but I bet there's some low-grade shoe polish on them. I have some AE conditioner and the conditioner was "marking" the leather when I first put it on until I really rubbed it in. So, I bet there's some polish reacting with the water and/or the conditioner. So, tomorrow I'll give them a good clean with saddle soap, then condition. Don't have any polish yet (these are walnut or the whatever AE color was before walnut). Need to get some soon.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmreg View Post
    Never had one last this long before. I've let other spots dry after wiping off the excess and they have evaporated no problem. I think it might not be a water mark, or at least, not only one. I think there is some cheap polish on these shoes. I bought these on eBay. They were very lightly used but I bet there's some low-grade shoe polish on them. I have some AE conditioner and the conditioner was "marking" the leather when I first put it on until I really rubbed it in. So, I bet there's some polish reacting with the water and/or the conditioner. So, tomorrow I'll give them a good clean with saddle soap, then condition. Don't have any polish yet (these are walnut or the whatever AE color was before walnut). Need to get some soon.
    Ok good luck. My AE's are walnut and I often get the dot when they get wet. Hopefully it's not much more than that.

Maybe call customer service? They're usually quite helpful and they may have a suggestion for you to try.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)
    I've worn my liverpools and BB walnut strands in the rain before (it decided to pop-up out of nowhere middle of my day). Neither was harmed. Just let it dry and it'll be fine. Cows get wet fairly often. They don't shrivel or die from it.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmreg View Post
    Sounds like a polish issue, not a leather issue. Saddle soap / a more thorough stripping of old polish, then a re-polish with some decent stuff should take care of the issue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    I've also been caught in the rain with my walnut strands and bourbon mcallisters. Never had any lasting-issues result from it. They all dried out just fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    So, just an update. I did the damp sponge treatment last night (wring out a sponge so that its barely damp and wipe out from the mark) and that seemed to help it dry out faster (just speculating that the extra dampness helps draw the water closer to the surface of the leather so that it can dry more evenly). I think its still drying out a little (hard to tell). Since I know it was there, you can still see the faintest discoloration on close examination. In everyday use I'd doubt even the most eagle-eyed dapper dresser would notice. I probably freaked out because the shoes were new (to me) and since I caught it so quickly after getting the water on it that I expected it to dry faster like my other shoes. I'm still going to clean them up and recondition and polish them.

On that note, how do you all use saddle soap? I've seen various techniques mentioned and I wasn't too keen on what I tried the last time (didn't seem to do much).