Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shorts color?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Whenever I read threads like this one, I'm reminded of how much more most men wear navy than I do. Navy's been one of my least favorite shades ever since I was a kid. I mean I still own a bunch of navy items (I'll list those I remember below), but if I can switch out navy for either a dark grey (if it's formal) or a lighter/more saturated shade of blue (if it's casual), I will usually try to do so.

Here's what I have that's navy:
    - dark navy solid wool suit
    - not quite so dark navy pin-striped wool suit [bought in the UK, where navy isn't quite so dark as in the USA]
    - navy wool topcoat
    - navy cotton trenchcoat
    - navy merino v-neck sweater
    - a couple of navy ties
    - navy suede wingtips [though these are a pretty saturated blue, so although they are dark, I'm not sure they count as navy. But I listed them because I'm pretty sure J. Crew sold them as navy and not as blue].

I don't own a navy blazer. I will get one at some point in 2017.
    I own one pair of navy dress pants, but I haven't worn them in ages, as I don't like either the fit or the fabric (they're 50% poly, bought before I joined Dappered), and I should donate them soon. I wouldn't be in any hurry to replace them.
    I don't own any navy chinos, cords, shirts, shorts, sneakers, or crewneck/casual sweaters.
    I suppose you could call dark-rinse jeans navy, but I think of them as indigo. If you count them, then I own a few pairs of navy jeans.
    Actually, I do own a pair of navy running shorts, but I only wear them to exercise in.

Anyway, off-topic post, but the point is that, while I own a pair of blue shorts and a pair of bluish-grey shorts, I can't imagine finding a use for navy shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I'm with these guys. Standard colors for 'normal' shorts (Bonobos 7" inseam for me, YMMV), I have navy, medium grey, a cobalt blue and a light blue (I like blue, can you tell?), but then I also have too many Chubbies 5" inseam shorts in brighter colors (neons for the pool/beach, some faded pastels for other fun times). When I'm in shorts, it's typically a casual, fun/relaxed event, so I go for broke on that. I don't pair them with a tank top and 80s sunglasses, and keep the rest reasonable so as not to look 100% like an overgrown frat guy (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2035 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    Whenever I read threads like this one, I'm reminded of how much more most men wear navy than I do. Navy's been one of my least favorite shades ever since I was a kid. I mean I still own a bunch of navy items (I'll list those I remember below), but if I can switch out navy for either a dark grey (if it's formal) or a lighter/more saturated shade of blue (if it's casual), I will usually try to do so.
    FWIW I like navy/dark blue for some items (blazers; suits; ties; casual shirts; polos; t-shirts; casual jackets) but feel it looks out of place for most bottoms. Maybe it's the Northern Lights rule at work, but I just tend not to like or wear dark-colored bottoms, whether they are wool trousers or chinos or shorts. I bought a pair of navy chino shorts from LE steep on sale and never really wore them because my other shorts always seemed like better options.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    FWIW I like navy/dark blue for some items (blazers; suits; ties; casual shirts; polos; t-shirts; casual jackets) but feel it looks out of place for most bottoms. Maybe it's the Northern Lights rule at work, but I just tend not to like or wear dark-colored bottoms, whether they are wool trousers or chinos or shorts. I bought a pair of navy chino shorts from LE steep on sale and never really wore them because my other shorts always seemed like better options.
    I agree that that's part of it - unless one counts dark jeans as navy, I don't think navy pants are nearly as popular or versatile as navy tops. But I also just don't like navy very much.

Don't you find space for charcoal wool pants at all? I see people wearing navy blazers and charcoal pants all the time. Do you usually go with a lighter shade of grey instead? Because I'm not a fan of navy, I end up wearing grey a lot and from time to time sport a monochrome all-grey outfit. That occasionally includes charcoal wool pants with an "ebony" cardigan or sweater (J. Crew's ebony is in my view a very dark charcoal). But I definitely wear my mid-grey and light-grey pants more than my charcoal ones.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    I have a clay pink pair that works with almost everything and is great color for summer. Next up would be a faded grass green. Navy is good, but a bit dark for summer, and khaki is too ubiquitous to recommend if you're trying not too look just everyone else.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2035 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    Don't you find space for charcoal wool pants at all? I see people wearing navy blazers and charcoal pants all the time. Do you usually go with a lighter shade of grey instead? Because I'm not a fan of navy, I end up wearing grey a lot and from time to time sport a monochrome all-grey outfit. That occasionally includes charcoal wool pants with an "ebony" cardigan or sweater (J. Crew's ebony is in my view a very dark charcoal). But I definitely wear my mid-grey and light-grey pants more than my charcoal ones.
    I have a pair of charcoal trousers but I don't wear them very often. They aren't my favorite with a navy blazer because the shades are too visually similar IMO; I prefer light grey, mid grey, slate blue, or brown trousers with a navy jacket. My lighter-colored jackets that might work better, color wise, with the charcoal trousers are a formality mismatch since they are unstructured linen or cotton. I used to have a light grey tweed or flannel (can't remember) herringbone jacket that I thought looked nice with charcoal trousers but that one got trashed at the dry cleaner a while back.

Denim is really the only dark-colored bottom that I wear on a regular basis.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    I did a little refresh for this year. Dark charcoal/grey, light grey, navy, red. All are chambray material.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Will be going in to try some on in the next few days....I literally couldn't believe how poor my choices have been in the shorts department. I've been the king of cargo. Glad I stumbled onto this site

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teethtime View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Will be going in to try some on in the next few days....I literally couldn't believe how poor my choices have been in the shorts department. I've been the king of cargo. Glad I stumbled onto this site
    Don't forget the fit, which is more important than color. There should be no more than inch of excess pinched fabric at the mid-thigh area, and keep the length around the middle of the knee or slightly above it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teethtime View Post
    Cargo shorts are pretty common, if one isn't specifically trying to avoid them, one can easily buy a lot of them.