Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorts color?

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2038 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Grey and navy for me. I love the linen cotton blend that old navy has and the Oxford cloth from target. I have a few patterns that I wear with solid ocbds and some solid that I wear with my summer pattern shirts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    Grey and navy. Oxford cloth from target and cotton linen from old navy. That's basically it.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    Are idvsego and pepito the same person???
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Ha. Nice

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    yes. i have a bunch of shorts in all kinds of wierd pastels and neat trad colors, and they're just great. shorts are casual so they should always be fun.
    This. Out of all of my shorts only 1 pair is a standard navy, the rest are a bit more out there. One of my favorites are a pair I snagged from bonobos a while back in "lobster" fit is great and color is a little different than what you see on most people during the summer.
    @julius12 I just saw their two posts and immediately thought "twinsies or same person?!"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    This time last year, I was in the same position as the OP, as I realized that all my shorts were cargos. For that reason, the previous summer, I'd pretty much got by without wearing shorts. Anyway, I picked up five pairs of chino shorts over the course of 2016. They are:

- khaki (JCF) [JCF calls it "British khaki" - it's a bit more saturated than some khakis]
    - mid-blue (JCF) [this is my favorite pair but JCF doesn't have it this year. They replaced it with the lighter "chateau blue."]
    - slate (bluish-gray) (JCF) [JCF still has this color - they call it "dark flannel"]
    - pink (Target)
    - orange (Target)

That should keep me going for a while, although I would like a pair of linen or linen-blend shorts at some point. I don't see any reason to be spend-y when shorts are concerned.

By the way, the JCFs are all the 9-inch lightweight gramercy shorts. I much prefer the feel of them to the broken-in shorts, plus if it's hot enough to wear shorts, it's probably hot enough that you'll want lightweight shorts. But I haven't tried the new oxford shorts, so perhaps they're good, too.
    Last edited by srlclark; March 2nd, 2017 at 09:30 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Lol. Great minds think alike.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    yes. i have a bunch of shorts in all kinds of wierd pastels and neat trad colors, and they're just great. shorts are casual so they should always be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    This. Out of all of my shorts only 1 pair is a standard navy, the rest are a bit more out there. One of my favorites are a pair I snagged from bonobos a while back in "lobster" fit is great and color is a little different than what you see on most people during the summer.
    @julius12 I just saw their two posts and immediately thought "twinsies or same person?!"
    I'm with these guys. Standard colors for 'normal' shorts (Bonobos 7" inseam for me, YMMV), I have navy, medium grey, a cobalt blue and a light blue (I like blue, can you tell?), but then I also have too many Chubbies 5" inseam shorts in brighter colors (neons for the pool/beach, some faded pastels for other fun times). When I'm in shorts, it's typically a casual, fun/relaxed event, so I go for broke on that. I don't pair them with a tank top and 80s sunglasses, and keep the rest reasonable so as not to look 100% like an overgrown frat guy (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1363 Post(s)
    This. I have a couple of pairs of pastel colour shorts along with the traditional colours of navy, khaki, etc. My thinking is that summer is a time for fun and relaxation. Shorts in fun colours to me are the way to go.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2038 Post(s)
    FWIW I really like pale blue (including blue seersucker), off-white, and Kelly green for shorts colors. I kinda want to snag some other preppy colors this year (Nantucket red, maybe lemon yellow). Most of the t-shirts and polos I wear with shorts are some variety of white, grey, blue, or black, so I can go a bit brighter with the shorts themselves.
    Ben

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I've got 7" navy and gray chino shorts from JCF, that's all I need
    ^ Yup. I prefer to keep the shorts in foundation colors, giving me more opportunity to get creative up top

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    I get the colored shorts thing, but I try to maintain a minimal wardrobe and want no more than 2 pairs as they're not very versatile (the most casual bottoms) and not appropriate/practical to be worn year-round in a 4-season climate, so they must be neutrals.

I limit my pops of color to my tops, and that way I can wear them year-round with shorts or with winter coats. I also think it's a lot more noticeable if you keep wearing/repeating the same tops, than if you keep wearing the same bottoms, so I have a good variety of tops while I keep my bottoms limited and in neutrals.